copper banded butterfly and advice on feeding it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordErrorprone

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got copper butterfly a few hours ago and would like some advice about feeding them.

You really should research livestock before buying and putting it in your tank. Hopefully you have this in a quarantine tank for a month before placing it into the display tank.

Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons Care Level: Difficult Temperament: Peaceful Reef Compatible: With Caution Max. Size: 8"

It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters.

The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to feed; it is a shy and deliberate feeder that may need a variety of foods offered to it in order to start feeding.

+1.gif

definitely difficult to feed. try some blood worms.

Ya I knew they were hard to feed. I've got mysis shrimp, green algea and some frozen stuff with lots of algea, oyster, clam, things like that. He seems to want that but its hard to keep the clownfish away from it.

They are Finicky eaters but try feeding Rods first. I've have 3 and they started eating Rod's Food right away- Then I got them to eat Mysis most of the time but they ate both which they were Fat and Healthy.

To be honest, the best food to feed fish right off the bat, that I've found, and especially difficult animals are live brine shrimp enriched with spirulina. I've yet to see a fish not gobble these down within 48hrs. Eventually you can mix prepared food into the live brine to convert it over.

lol.
chopped fish, shrimp, and tiny bits of fresh clam might work. after all, that's all "rods food" is, a bunch of stuff from the supermarket and LFS all chopped up and made ready for you. i say you can do this yourself for a fraction of the cost.
i have recently added a copperband to the tank i maintain at the local gym. he's been in the tank for about 3 weeks now and has not eaten anything prepared yet. i have tried the chopped foods above mentioned, flake, and pellet. i'm going to get some frozen blood worms on monday. if they don't work, i'm going to try live blood worms.
to date, all he's eaten is pods.

Rod's Food can be bought online or hopefully at your lfs. I know Doug says you can make it cheaper at home. I used to make my own 'blender much' but have found Rod's to be cheaper and eaisier. If I had multiple tanks or a 500+ gallon tank then I would make my own again. Fresh seasfood is expensive unless you have a local fish monger that will sell you scraps for peanuts.

I got some brine shrimp and will try feeding them to the butterflyfish once they hatch tommorow.

So they hatched and I put some in the tank, the clownfish went crazy of course. The butterflyfish was picking at the glass alot, im not sure if he was eating them or not.

the trouble is, you can't keep a fish on a steady diet of brine shrimp, unless they've been enriched maybe. alone they are not very nutritious.

Back
Top Bottom