Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Copper Question?

Hello,
I know this has probably been beat into the ground in the past, but I am brand new to Saltwater Tanks. I am setting up my first tank. It is a 75 gallon with a bio ball wet/dry filter and pump. It was treated from the person before with Cupramine Copper 5 weeks ago. I have now received this tank, pump everything from this fellow officer I work with. He has a lion fish and a snow flake eel that he wants to give me with it cause they are currently in the tank. I want to know if there is anyway to treat the tank and get the copper out or am I not ever going to be able to put coral etc...in the particular tank? Like I mentioned I am new so be gentle on me, I am sure you get this question a lot. Just everything I look up on forums is older info on this and not sure if anything has changed. I have seen something out there called Seachem Cuprisorb. Anyone that has used it or info on that would be great also. Thanks for any help I can get . Rich

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, because it was cupramine, you should be able to get the copper out! You need a copper test kit and carbon. Just run carbon in a bag, test the water and make sure the copper is gone. If there is rock in the system it may have absorbed the copper, but if you run the carbon, it will absorb it as it is released. You will want to use 1 Tbsp copper per 10 gallons of tank water and change it every two weeks. You can also get the cuprasorb, but carbon will work.

I would buy new sand if there is sand in the tank, rather then rinsing what is in there to help avoid a mini cycle.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry....1Tbsp CARBON not copper.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the input so far. It is making me feel a little more positive about the situation then I first was. I am going to do the carbon and run the Cuprisorb in it. Maybe by time I get experienced enough with this FOWLER tank and want to do Coral then all the copper will be out of it. Thanks for the help.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com