Copper with fish only? Please read...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beachaquatics

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a lfs in Florida, I'm trying to figure out If I should continue to keep a dose of .3 copper in my FISH tank systems. My main question is, does copper effect the live bacteria needed in the tanks, keep in mind these fish live in the tanks temporarily. Will they be okay with out the live bacteria considering they won't be here long, I just wanna keep fish alive , plz help!

If there is no sign of issues, than there is no reason to medicate your tank. Even if it's a temporary tank.

I've heard a lot of LFS run their systems with different levels of Hyposalinity to deal with things like Ich. In not sure I would constantly run copper. The fish may, or may not, be there temporarily. I've seen some fish at my LFS for months before being purchased. Prolonged hypo probably would be okay. I'm not sure the same is true with copper.

Guy at my lfs says he puts it in as says little bit help build up slime coat on fish, don't no what dose puts in tho

I suggest running the tanks at a lower salinity also, not keeping copper present. I think the stores around here are somewhere around .017.

I suggest running the tanks at a lower salinity also, not keeping copper present. I think the stores around here are somewhere around .017.

I would also be sure to tell customers if you go this way, so that they know when acclimating. I would drip slower with a big increase in salinity versus acclimating from a store that is closer to what I have. I've always heard that rapid decreases are not as bad as rapid increases.

Guy at my lfs says he puts it in as says little bit help build up slime coat on fish, don't no what dose puts in tho

I'm not sure why that would be the case. I've never heard anything like that before (and I've heard some interesting stuff over the years).

I'm not sure why that would be the case. I've never heard anything like that before (and I've heard some interesting stuff over the years).
i don't know was in shop one time and he was dosing tanks and ask him what he was doing

I agree with keeping the salinity low! And telling the COSTOMER about the acclamation, I'm going set up a tank with out copper and see how it does, thanks!

I just started a lfs in Florida, I'm trying to figure out If I should continue to keep a dose of .3 copper in my FISH tank systems. My main question is, does copper effect the live bacteria needed in the tanks, keep in mind these fish live in the tanks temporarily. Will they be okay with out the live bacteria considering they won't be here long, I just wanna keep fish alive , plz help!

Where is your fish store in FL? I'm in fort myers!

Back
Top Bottom