Coral banded cat shark egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crister13 said:
Do you know how long I could keep a coral catshark? Sorry to use this thread but all of the shark people are here and I could never do that lol. By the way slither nice looking shark and good luck with him!!!!!

In a 150? I'm not sure. I think I read they grow like a foot a year so maybe 1 to 1-1/2 years depending on the size it reaches by then.

Ibrahim said:
I was thinking about a stingray and a catshark or maybe a catshark and some tangs, triggers, and a lionfish

I wouldn't do the stingray as already said and I honestly don't see myself making another thread about the shark or anything else for that manner. At least not here. Too many assumptions made by people who lack any information and am just turned off by rude comments. I've mostly relied on my friends with their own experiences and google for any help I need or whatever.

Were you talking about a coral catshark? They MAX out at 27". The PNGs max out at 29" and are not active. Heres a vid.

slitherbomb said:
Yes he's still in the "tiny" container. I'm trying to get him to start hunting down the food I put in there so he won't starve in the 75g I put him in. The 300g is going to be 96" x 30" x 25". It's going to be order around February and will probably be fully setup around march/ April.

I'm sorry but a 12x18 container for a shark is tiny.

If you haven't ordered it yet you might want to order one that's a little wider than 25". Your shark is going to grow to 42" or so. They need swimming space and in a 25" wide tank he'll have a tough time just turning around.

Ya. I wont get a shark. What about a stingray? Cortez max out at 14" with tail so I could get one right?

As I stated earlier, stingrays need a HUGE open sandbed. I wouldn't put one in a 150. If you're looking to start a predator tank there is plenty of awesome fish that can go in a 150.

Ya I know but I REALLY wanted a shark or stingray (elasmobranch). I know the cortez are the smallest and I thought they would be fine in a 150 since theyre relatively small.

slitherbomb said:
3 ft deep, 25" tall. I've read that these max out at 27" and that's if it's a female.

Ohh I see..that won't be too bad. Everything I've read says 3.5 feet. Whether or not males or females are larger I'm not sure. How do you know you have a male? Lol or do I not want to know.

Its based on the claspers lol. The banded bamboos max out at 42 in. The coral cats 27". Females get larger, and usually dont get to that size. Thats why I was considering getting a coral catshark. bluezooaquatics.com has them for sale every once in awhile. And I see people on youtube with corals cats in 150s all the time. Do you think I would be able to get one? I do 30-40g pwcs every week with a rodi unit.

crister13 said:
Ya I know but I REALLY wanted a shark or stingray (elasmobranch). I know the cortez are the smallest and I thought they would be fine in a 150 since theyre relatively small.

I don't know what to tell you. I can't stop you from getting one. I can only tell you what I know about them and the requrements that come along with them. In the end its your tank, your money, and I'm sure a LFS would sell you one.

I'm getting a coral catshark for the 220g I'm going to get. They've got one at my LFS for 140 which I think isn't bad price. Maybe a couple angels and tangs then a batfish and finally a dwarf lion.

Do you think I could get one? I really dont want to do bad for the fish, but have seen many coral cats in 150s that looked fine. I am just looking for opinion. Thanks!!!!!

crister13 said:
Do you think I could get one? I really dont want to do bad for the fish, but have seen many coral cats in 150s that looked fine. I am just looking for opinion. Thanks!!!!!

A 180g would be a better choice because its 24" wide and a 150 is 18" wide. You could do one until it's about 18" long

Do you know how long that would take? If I were to get a male, do you think he would get much bigger than 18"?

crister13 said:
Do you know how long that would take? If I were to get a male, do you think he would get much bigger than 18"?

It'd be .5" per month so if you bought one at 9" it would take a year and 1/2.

Do you know how large the males get? I know they get smaller, but thats about it. lol. Thanks for the help so far.

Back
Top Bottom