Coral banded cat shark egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
About 2 weeks ago,I decided that since I was eventually going to upgrade to a huge tank, I wanted a shark so I got this egg. Right now the egg is in a 5.5 g tank with a HOB filter and a heater. I heard that the htter you make the tank, the faster the egg hatches, is that true? The water is at 82* right now. Also, what is a good tank size for it? It says 180g on liveaquaria but that seems too small. The smallest tank I'm going to upgrade to is a 240g 8ft tank, but might look at a 400g aquarium that someone is selling on craigslist. Thanks for any info!

You do realize that it takes 1-4 weeks to hatch and it comes out 1/2 a foot in length and needs lots of swimming room right? You don't even have the bigger tank yet?...good luck

They actually take 1-2 months to hatch and I would definitely not put it in a 400g tank when it's 4-6inches with a group of aggressive fish. Thanks for the help though!

The most ive seen it timed is 1-6 weeks, but you're at a high temp. If you don't have good housing for it yet I'd def turn it down to 78 where they're normally kept at. Slow down the hatching period Otherwise he's gonna be swimming in that 5.5 very soon.

I'm planning on keeping him in a plastic container that measures 18" x 12" for about a week or two to make sure that it's healthy and begins eating. After that he will go in a 75g and then soon enough a bigger tank. I'm going to see a 400g tank this weekend hopefully, but if that doesn't work out, I will buy a 240g new. The 240g is a backup plan and would have been purchased in about 2 months but I'm looking at craigslist to see if I can get a bigger tank used.

When I hatched mine it only took it 2 weeks to hatch it really just depends on how along the baby shark is developed inside the egg. But If I where u I'd get another tank up and running cause the baby sharks are super sensitive to changes so it is best to hatch him in a bigger tank as allowed tothe 5.5 gal he's in now

tbarcomb said:
When I hatched mine it only took it 2 weeks to hatch it really just depends on how along the baby shark is developed inside the egg. But If I where u I'd get another tank up and running cause the baby sharks are super sensitive to changes so it is best to hatch him in a bigger tank as allowed tothe 5.5 gal he's in now

Yeah, right now the yolk is about the size of a ping pong ball. I might put him in my 40g to hatch so the salinity won't be able to fluctuate as much.

A 400g would of course be best and super sweet. You could even build a little pond like 2 feet deep. There is a thread here some where that someone had done that. As far as the egg placement, my friend hatches them all the time for his lfs. He put them in a tank with other fish with a ph blowing on it. Good luck. That would be fun. Take lots of pics!

I will make sure to take a ton of pics. This is going to be my little baby lol. I've settled on buying a 300g wide tank from classcages.com and will purchased it in 3-4 months. That is, of course if I don't find another websites to buy class tanks from lol.

Cool. Ive always wanted one. I'm trying to sell my 75 and 55 and set up a FOWLR 240g but my parents aren't too convinced about it being a good choice lol

Get good grades and that's all it'll really take for my parents lol. I might sell my xbox 360 since I haven't played it for like 3 months and with school, I definitely don't have time to play, and if I want to, I'll still have my ps3.

Well I convinced them lol. My progress report had all A's but I have to sell 3 tanks :( my 55 freshwater piranha tank, my 55 FOWLR, and my 75 reef. And I'm getting a 175 not a 180 as my parents are putting furniture where the old tanks were and I will only have 5 feet of space. I believe the tank dimensions I saw were 60x28x24. So no shark maybe a banded but if I do go with one he'll have to go in a couple years or I'll have to upgrade.

So how's the egg coming along. My reef and FOWLR sold so I'm waiting on the 55 freshwater lol. Is the egg in the 40g now?

I think the 175 is worth selling those 3 tanks! And he's doing great. The yolk is about the size of a dime so I'm seeing a hatch within 1-2 weeks. He's still in the 5g for now. When the yolk sac has almost disappeared, I'm going to put him in a large plastic container by himself so I can begin getting him to eat.

If the yolk is about the size of a dime u have more than 2 weeks left on it I thought the same thing but when it's about that size u are looking at mor like 3-5 weeks left.

And when he hatches he may not eat for the first few days cause he is still going to be living of the yolk. It will take a few weeks to get him to start eating. Try silver sides and ghost shrimp that's what I had mine eating on and I gave it live damsels every couple of weeks

tbarcomb said:
If the yolk is about the size of a dime u have more than 2 weeks left on it I thought the same thing but when it's about that size u are looking at mor like 3-5 weeks left.

And when he hatches he may not eat for the first few days cause he is still going to be living of the yolk. It will take a few weeks to get him to start eating. Try silver sides and ghost shrimp that's what I had mine eating on and I gave it live damsels every couple of weeks

Thats ok with my lol. What do your feed yours now? I was thinking of doing squid, shrimp, and silversides.

Oh and here are pictures lol

Attachments

• image-3625891904.jpg
    image-3625891904.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 337
  • image-43374970.jpg
    image-43374970.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 462
Aw that's so cool how you can see him in there. If I'm going to get a shark it'll be the coral banded or eppaulete shark

Back
Top Bottom