Coral banded shrimp derp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pwnsaw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I got a coral banded shrimp a couple of days ago (small) and this morning found him stuck in the intake screen of the filter. One of his big arms went through the hole, but the rest of him was too big to get sucked in. I turned off the filter and gingerly pulled him out. He was immediately active and I don't see any missing parts. The big arm that was sucked in looks a little tweaked but it may have been that way before, I'm not sure. My question is, are they intelligent enough to know not to go there any more? Or do I need to come up with a creative way to dissipate some of the suction by adding surface area to the intake?

Another side question, do coral banded shrimp use their big arms, or are they just for protection/posturing?

Thanks!

I agree I think you should take precautionary measures. You wouldn't want the worse to happen.

It's arm will grow back and pretty quick too! Mine lost both its punchers and they grew back within a month. They use these arms for scavenging.

Yeah I'll come up with something. I still want it to be able to suck up large debris. He didn't lose the arm, it just looks like the claw might be bending in a wrong direction a little.

Yeah I'll come up with something. I still want it to be able to suck up large debris. He didn't lose the arm, it just looks like the claw might be bending in a wrong direction a little.

It will be normal again once he molts :)

Back
Top Bottom