Coral Beauty bothering new Dispar Anthias group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lstimpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65 gallon reef ready aquarium (no corals yet.) I have 2 black and white clowns, a 6 line wrasse, a Randall's goby with a tiny pistol shrimp, 10 red leg hermits, and a few snails. Water parameters are pristine, tons of LR and a ridiculous protein skimmer. I added one male and two female Dispar Anthias this afternoon, which will round out my fish for this aquarium. They acclimated well, and off they went into the tank. My extremely hyper Coral Beauty angel soon took to harassing the group on and off, especially the male. I turned the lights to moon and they seem to be ok, only the male is hiding and looks worried. I'm concerned because I love these new anthias already and I don't want my over zealous angelfish to boss them around and stress them out. Am I being too paranoid?

Interesting. I'm now having the same experience after adding a few. Did anything change with yours or is coral beauty still pissy?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I typically leave the lights off for the first 12 hours or so after introducing new fish, gives the tank a chance to settle in. If there is trouble I will leave the lights off the next day. If they are stillhaving issues you can try to move some rock around, it will mess with the angel and any territory they may have staked. Sometimes it can take a few days for the fish to all calm down after a new addition, just keep an eye on them and be prepared to separate them if it becomes absolutely necessary.Good luck

Angels can be territorial too, so it could just be letting the Anthias know whose tank they are in. Keep an eye on them, but I bet it works itself out okay if they make it past the first day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice. I think after 24 hours they are learning to stay away from him anyway.

Bad news is one of the anthias was learning from my clown fish how to rub against anemones. Poor bastard was stung and then my little clean up crew crab grabbed him and had himself a $30 dinner. Dang it!

Back
Top Bottom