Coral Beauty help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaileykari

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got this fish four months ago from my lfs. The guy there said she got scuffed a bit when caught.
She eats good, very active. But the "scuff" marks look worse. I saw her rub her face against the rock today.
What is this and what can I do?
Thanks!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425176721.609327.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425176751.837384.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425176800.258779.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have only seen the fish rub against the rock one time, otherwise it is always swimming with my clownfish.
With ich, aren't there white spots?

55 gallon
Temp 78
Salinity 1.023
PH- 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-40

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is one of the three life stages of ich, and the only one we actually see. But as it stands, it is only a guess. The scratching could simply be part of whatever happened to its face...keeping the water parameters stable and pristine and it might be able to recover, but I'm not really sure with such a scale of scale loss.

looks like textbook lateral line disease.
you can see the same pitting runs along the lateral line.
sadly I don't think it heals completely

http://en.wikivet.net/Head_and_Lateral_Line_Erosion

(there are more informative links available, but most are other forums, so....)
this one has pics of a coral beauty with it.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SWHLLEcases.htm
yours definitely has it. :(

you should never purchase a fish with an obvious problem unless you are 125% certain you know what it is and how to treat it.
and that lfs person should have known exactly what it was or they need to find another job.

Yes, that is what it is. I read several articles and I can try a few things that are recommended.
I use activated charcoal in my filters, I will try something else. And work to get my nitrates lower.
Thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom