Coral catshark egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GATANKGUY706

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a coral catshark egg ( Atelomycterus marmoratus) a week ago & wanted to know how long it would be before it hatches. It's the length of the egg now & a few mm thick. When i got it the embryo was about 1/2 inch long & next week will be 2 wks since i had it. Any advice and pointers would greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I purchased a coral catshark egg ( Atelomycterus marmoratus) a week ago & wanted to know how long it would be before it hatches. It's the length of the egg now & a few mm thick. When i got it the embryo was about 1/2 inch long & next week will be 2 wks since i had it. Any advice and pointers would greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
These shark eggs take about 4-6 months to hatch depending on temperature. Considering that they are about 4"-5" at "birth" and yours is only about 1/2 " I'd say you have a ways to go. ;)
As for upkeep until then, this might help: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus

Good luck and keep us posted. (y)

These shark eggs take about 4-6 months to hatch depending on temperature. Considering that they are about 4"-5" at "birth" and yours is only about 1/2 " I'd say you have a ways to go. ;)
As for upkeep until then, this might help: Breeding Journal, Species: Atelomycterus marmoratus

Good luck and keep us posted. (y)

When i got it; it was 1/2 in. to 1 in. Now it is the length of the egg case. Thanks for the info & links. You're info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180314_190836_Burst01.jpg
    20180314_190836_Burst01.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 20180314_190844_Burst01.jpg
    20180314_190844_Burst01.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited by a moderator:
I've hatched out a number of banded Catshark and Horn shark eggs over the years. It's always exciting to see a "newborn" shark. (y) We only had the candle method to see how the embryo was doing so it was always a guessing game. The link I posted gives you first hand experience with this type of shark but from the pictures, the yolk sac still looks rather large so it should have a bit to go. The smaller that sac gets, the closer to hatch it should be. What always amazed me when they hatched was how something that big came from a pouch that small. :lol: ( especially with horn sharks. :eek: :lol: )(y)

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since last post on coral catshark egg. Yolksac is about the size of a dime now. You can't see it because he/she keeps it's tail wrapped around it. I can see it's pattern also. Can anyone with experience with them tell me how mannt more weeks I have left.

Attachments

• 20180327_171259.jpg
    20180327_171259.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 20180327_171224.jpg
    20180327_171224.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 290
Your embryo surely has done some growing. Congrats. (y) Looking forward to seeing a swimming sharklet. :D

It has grown alot & thanks for your advice and comments. Should have about 2 or 3 more weeks left. Can't believe I only had it only a month. I have a snowflake that's about 12" long & 1" diameter I was thinking about putting the pup in some type of breeder box to get it eating well and a little size on it before i release it into the DT. Could use a little advice on that situation. Thanks!!! Once again

Sharks need good water circulation so a breeder box type object would not be ideal. Better to use a divider in the tank to keep the pup safe from the eel and to put some size on it. Make sure you have good circulation in the isolated area. If necessary, add an airstone or small circulation pump to help keep water moving. (y)

Coral catshark egg (Atelomycterus Marmoratus)

Two week update on the catshark egg. The embryo yolksac is gone & now waiting for it to spring out of the egg case. Today marks 6 wks since I brought it home.

Attachments

• 20180413_020632_Burst01.jpg
    20180413_020632_Burst01.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 20180413_020712.jpg
    20180413_020712.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 271
Those should be good to start. make sure you make the pieces small so as not to have the hatchling accidentally choke on the food. If the shark does not eat these, try strips of squid or opened clams from the market. (y)

Those should be good to start. make sure you make the pieces small so as not to have the hatchling accidentally choke on the food. If the shark does not eat these, try strips of squid or opened clams from the market. (y)

Thanks for the info. Quick question I want to help it out the egg case it's been a week since the yolksac has been depleted. The bottom of the egg case has been opened by it but it has not come out. I'm thinking about taking it out tomorrow. What would you do?

Mine would go crazy over the ghost shrimp. Got them from my local Walmart. My shark knew they were in the tank the instant they hit the water. It was fun to watch it hunt them down.

Coral catshark egg (Atelomycterus Marmoratus)

It's been over a week since the shark yolk sac has been depleted & has not hatched yet. I want to cut the shark out before it dies from starvation. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. ( shark is well formed & tomorrow is 7 wks since I've had the egg. )

If I’m remembering right. It took about three months for mine to come out. I’m not sure what the yolk looked like cause I never messed with the egg. But he was hungry soon as he came out. He would eat 15 or 20 of the little ghost shrimp.

If I’m remembering right. It took about three months for mine to come out. I’m not sure what the yolk looked like cause I never messed with the egg. But he was hungry soon as he came out. He would eat 15 or 20 of the little ghost shrimp.

I haven't messed with it. It's hanging on the glass so I can see it grow & it grew pretty fast since the first day I got it. You can see from the last pic it is well formed & no yolk sac. What would be best for the shark.

I would give it a little while longer. It should come out when it’s ready. By the looks of it should be any day now. It absorbed the yolk and is still feeding on it. Maybe after a few more days give it a little help.

I had a brown banded bamboo cat shark. I could see it growing inside the egg also. It had the whole egg filled up before it hatched.

I had a brown banded bamboo cat shark. I could see it growing inside the egg also. It had the whole egg filled up before it hatched.

Thanks for advice & I truly appreciate it. Any more advice on getting it to eat and care are appreciated as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom