coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently added three soft poylp corals to my 55 gallon tank. They all seem to be doing fine, only one of them, the tree coral, is not opening up as much as it had been withtin the last few days. Everything seems fine but i was wondering if i should add some trace elements and if i do, would the trace elements affect the other fish and beings in the tank.

In the tank there is, 45 lbs live rock, two emerald crabs, one clown fish, one black and white stripped damsel, one angelfish, green star polyp, sea mat/botton polyp and a kenya tree coral.

I have seen what iodine can do to an emerald crab if it is over dosed. When it molted it lost both claws and now has to be handfed daily (it isn't mine). A good rule is don't add anything you can't test for.

You can add Trace elements in your tank by doing PWC`s. IMO it`s better to do it that way because you are also diluting excessive nutrients by doing PWC`s. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

so you mean dont add any that i bought, the water i do a pwc with has them in it anway?

What kind of anglefish is it? many of them are not reef safe and it may be picking at the coral.

so you mean dont add any that i bought, the water i do a pwc with has them in it anway?

That is correct. There are over 89 different salts in a marine salt mix. They make up the trace elements needed for your tank. The only thing you might have to dose is calcium depending on your salt mix but test first to see if you even need to.

Back
Top Bottom