Coraline growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Themonsterisme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a bunch of cured base rock that used to be live and covered with coraline but had to shelve my SW addiction for a few years...everything bleached and now I'm using it again for my FOWLR tank and have a cured piece of live rock to seed the rest of the base rock...also have a bunch of turbo snails and hermits that have good amount of coraline on their shells...because the old rock bleached is it going to take forever to "seed" and start growth? It's been a month or so with no visible "seeding"...what is a typical timeframe to expect the rest of the rock to grow coraline?

Coralline growth depends on how good your water quAlity is. It usually starts to show up after a couple of months when seeded into news systems.

You can try that purple up stuff.. But I hear its just calcium in a bottle.

Purple Up will just through your levels out of whack. It's trash.

Take a toothbrush or old credit card and scratch at the coraline. That will help it spread. Like stated above, it will grow faster in systems with pristine water.

Yeah that's what I heard... It's garbage. Just stick with patience, good water quality and lighting.

Proper alkalinity and calcium levels will cause it to spontaneously grow. Very little you need to do but get those values where they need to be and wait.

Thanks fellow aquarists...I have to get a test kit for calcium ...my DT is Fallow ATM because of a ich outbreak and for some reason I'm having nitrate and nitrite spikes...going to clean my canister filters and HOB skilter...also having trouble getting a copper reading in my hospital tank (30 gal Rubbermaid tote)...using a salifert copper test kit but it doesn't seem to register...have a small HOB filter with no carbon in it...I don't want to redose and kill my fish without a proper reading...argh

A butterfly fish is hard to raise even in a established aquarium. I would concentrate on easy fish for the first few years.

K...thanks Greg ...man there is a ton of homework to do with saltwater tanks...hard stuff but totally rewarding when done right...the price was super right on the butterfly ($18 at a LFS) so I jumped on it without doing research ..doh

It's a very common mistake. I have done it myself. Carry your phone with you and look the fish up before buying if you can. Many LFS are irresponsible when it comes to the fish they offer and the advice given. Most people are offended if you tell them they are not advanced enough to keep that beautiful fish alive. Even when it's true. Easier to just sell the fish. The good news is that you will learn and every year your tank is established, it will be easier to keep more difficult fish. But some are almost impossible even for advanced hobbiests. In my opinion, you haven't successfully raised the fish unless he got a majority of his natural life span in your care. It doesn't count to me that you kept a angelfish alive for a couple of years when they can live 20. But that's just me. I hate seeing beautiful fish being flushed, it's the part of the hobby the diver in me hates. So do your best and research first. It will reduce disappointments,which is what runs folks out of this hobby.

Butterfly fish, even copper banded, are not easy to feed. Some only eat sponges. I stay away from them because I don't have good luck with them and don't have the time to cater to their specific needs. Too many easier fish to raise.

Last edited:
The crazy part about the butterfly was that he would eat very well...would even almost let me hand feed him..had such a awesome personality....he ate frozen,live and flake...still doesn't change that he was stressed and developed ich...definitely a fish I'll hold off on for a while

Yes, that's part of it for sure. Some fish settle into aquarium life while others don't accept it as well. Tangs and butterflies certainly fit this mold. While other fish seem to not care, like clown fish. They have a natural territory measured in a few feet, while surgeonfish and butterflies cover miles in a day.

Update on my copper treatment in the sick fish thread under Ich....had some problems...can someone go read my other thread so moderators don't send me a angry double post message...lol

Back
Top Bottom