Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Google aiptasia, and see if that is what it is.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

They were aiptasias. Returned the rock, luckily they took it back. Best comment was, "all the rocks have that". -Lfs worker.

Needless to say I won't be buying lr from them again.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycapz View Post
They were aiptasias. Returned the rock, luckily they took it back. Best comment was, "all the rocks have that". -Lfs worker.

Needless to say I won't be buying lr from them again.
In their defense, aptasia and bubble algae spores tend to be just about everywhere. I can't say as I know of any LFS that will police their bulk live rock to the point to guarantee it is pest free. About the only way to guarantee rock is pest free is to buy dry rock or the artificial stuff that has never seen an ocean. Of course, that also means you don't get any of the interesting "good" stuff either like sponges and feather dusters. Aiptasia is pretty easy to clear out if you catch it before it becomes a full blown infestation. Bubble algae is a little more challenging, but not impossible to get rid of either.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I completely understand that, and I know they get a lot of foreign stuff in on a daily/weekly basis. The problem is there systems for all tanks are connected, if theres is a problem in one tank its probably going to migrate to another. My problem is, that they dont actually attack the problem at all. If someone who is new to the hobby walks in, they will unknowingly infect their new tanks and not know until its to late. When I went back, I saw some of the other rocks had half inch or larger aiptasia's on them. On closer inspection, I noticed 80% of tanks had bubble algae. Thats really bad if your entire stock is untreated (or not even acknowledged). They had some really nice corals, sadly most sitting within inches of the aiptasia's which you know at some point would become a victim.

I was just more insulted by the employees answer. He acted as if this was "ok", and played it down like this is the norm. The rock I brought back had little baby ones all over it, easily half dozen.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reefrocks.net <- Good website for dry rock.

Always better off with dry rock, then live IMO.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a nice size rock with a infestation on it, rock is probably 12"long by 5" wide. Put it in a bucket with water, drop some kalk into it and cleaned it all out. Work really good, used peppermint shrimp to clean up the rest.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reefrock.net is a cheaper site but i have read very rough things about their turn around rate. I would look into macrorocks.com. I ordered sunday afternoon they shipped monday by 9:00 am i was emailed notice of shipment as well as the tracking number
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Opps i meant marcorocks.com
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ill check it out, thanks for the advice. My only reservation about dry rock is missing out on all the fun extras you get with the established rock.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That looks like a majano anemone to me, though I haven't seen any solid purple. No need to return the rock. just remove the algae.
Oops....didn't see this page.
Well, fun stuff and pests come hand in hand. The LFS worker was correct. Just about all live rock comes with something you don't want.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com