Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Corny Question: Will they fall in love again?

I was almost too embarrassed to write that title, but I figured I might get a few more responses. I purchased two clowns about a month ago. They weren't considered a mated pair, but they seemed to get a long fine at the pet store.

When I brought them home to my 90 gallon, they were inseparable for the first week. If one swam around, the small one would be right by her side. After about the first week, they started venturing out alone more and more. Now, they aren't swimming or sleeping together anymore. In addition, the larger (assuming female) clown now charges at the smaller one. The small guy will hide and then they'll go about their business.

There haven't been any nipped fins or any injuries. I've never seen any actual attacks besides the larger one just charging at the smaller one. I have noticed that the smaller one now approaches the larger one and shakes. After doing that, the larger one will stop charging for the time being. I know that this means that the smaller one is being submissive, but I'm wondering if they will ever get back together and act like they did when I first purchased them. Also, should I be concerned about the smaller one possibly being injured by the larger one?

yohann976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Sounds normal to me, the larger is probably showing her dominance over the male.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Scott. You should be OK.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
That's what I figured. I'm just hoping that they'll start swimming together again because it looked cool.
yohann976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow you described whats been going on with our pair EXACTLY!! Same deal here... so I am guessing you are ok too.

At first they were always together, but now they are each becoming a little more independent. I miss how they snuggled together when turned the lights off..... now, one of them sleeps vertically in the corner of the tank, and the female goes to her favorite cave... She will by no means allow the smaller one into that cave, if he even dares to go in there, she charges at his middle until he looks like he's having a seizure. lol

I am guessing its just normal behavior though.
raindrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
No dominance displays like that in my tank, but they do follow each other everywhere, and sleep/rest in the same spot of the tank together. Now, my hippo tang and yellow tang also follow them EVERYWHERE in the tank when the lights are on but go their separate ways at night.

Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com