cortez stingrays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melbella1982

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just had a cortez stingray die in my 180 gal tank. removed her immediately. is there any poison that she could release? thanks

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Personally, I would be more worried about figuring our WHY it died. As far as "chemicals" go...not realy anything to worry about. Dead and decaying animals can produe more NH3 in the water then your tank's biological filtration can process so the risk to additional livestock is still there. However, if you promptly removed the ray and have a good amount of biologial filtration in the tank you should be okay. Best practice would be to have plenty of prepared and aged SW on hand to do a water change if needed. Test water parameters (NH3, NO2 and NO3) twice a day for a week to make sure all is well. Turn your thoughts toward the casue of the death as well.

WELCOME TO AA!!

I agree Lando. I think they are worried about toxins being released (like a cowfish might do, if stressed or dead), as opposed to an ammonia spike, great advice on the checking of water parameters. I am unfamiliar with that ray so I can't really help you. If anything, you can run GAC to help remove any toxins, if you feel they may be present.

Back
Top Bottom