Couple LR questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought about 30-40 lbs from a LFS and for the most part it appears cured and the tank cycled prior the the LR being placed in it.
My 2 are questions are...

1. I discovered a small green crab, about the size of a quarter, climbing from a crevice on the rock. He/she appears to have made them self at home in the tank and is eating something off the rock. Is this going to be a problem for the rock? Is there anything I can feed this crab?

2. I have seen the 1-1.5 lb of LR per gal. rule for stocking a FOWLER. I have a 90g tank. Wouldn't a more accurate rule apply to the amount of fish or bio-load as opposed to the gallons of the tank?
thanks for your time

1. Would it be possible to get a pic of the crab? Hopefully it's not a xanthid.

Crab Hitch Hikers

2. Yes, but lbs and gallons are measureable and "real". Bioload is subjective and difficult to define.

Now that I look closer it's maybe nickel sized.
I'll try to post a pic. It didn't really look like any of the pics from the above link but I assume it's probably a detriment to the rock.
I was just curious if a "per inch of fish" ratio existed for LR.

Can you describe his claws? It might be an emerald crab...

Pretty sure you nailed it roka
I googled emerald crab and an identical image came up. Unless there is another similar looking species but I'm 99% sure that's what it is.
With a suggested retail price of $7.99!!!
Algae eater/ scavenger, very slow moving and docile.

Nice ID Roka!

Very nice hitchhiker to get Happy! :)

Thanks, if you look at his claws, they should be scoop like....great bubble algae eaters too.....

Thanks, if you look at his claws, they should be scoop like....great bubble algae eaters too.....

WAIT... sorry to hijack, but emerald crabs eat bubble algae?! This I need to know...

Will the LR be okay w/ no fish in the tank for a week or so?
Should I add a little bit of fish food to keep the bacteria alive?

I`m thinking for a week you should be OK. More than that I`d add an ammonia source.

sounds good.
one more thing...Is an 8.8 Ph tolerable? I've read 8.4 is a good level.
The tank finished cycling a week or so ago.

It`s kind of high but let me ask you did you do a PWC after the cycle was over? Like about a 40% PWC?

Your pH will still be a little out of whack while the tank settles down.

Back
Top Bottom