Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will never get a cow fish or box fish or any of those kind of fish they can release poisons at any time threaten or water conditions

Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Cowfish are absolutely adorable though, granted they also get large. The events certainly point towards moofish, a shame since they are so personable.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes they are I have had 2 cow fish and box fish they are great looking but when you have a lot of money in your tank is it worth it to take the chance (not for me)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am a little late into the discussion but I would highly suspect the cowfish became stressed by the new addition thus releasing poison killing off everything. Lucky you got the survivors out when you did.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKBreen
I am a little late into the discussion but I would highly suspect the cowfish became stressed by the new addition thus releasing poison killing off everything. Lucky you got the survivors out when you did.
Thing is tho it didnt kill off everything. Yeah i may be stretching for answers a bit, but im sure the OP doesnt want anything like this to happen again so im trying to figure out other possibilities for him to look at.

Fact is you may never know for sure. Not many facts to go on. Only point im trying to get across is just because you have a cowfish does not mean it is responsible for crashing your tank. Many other causes for tanks to crash, none of which where addressed or considered at the time.

I hope you have no future problems but if you do come back and we can really figure it out with ya man, best of luck.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I ment was yes some outside source may have killed the cowfish, though I suspect the new addition to be the culprit, however once the cowfish died the poisons released poisoned the whole tank, which could/would kill off everything else in the tank.

There could be another issue at stake, but how does the saying go? The simplest answer is usually right?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKBreen
What I ment was yes some outside source may have killed the cowfish, though I suspect the new addition to be the culprit, however once the cowfish died the poisons released poisoned the whole tank, which could/would kill off everything else in the tank.

There could be another issue at stake, but how does the saying go? The simplest answer is usually right?
Well cowfish actually can only release the toxin when they are alive, just to inform
Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm knocking on wood it was the cowfish.... looks like the dogface puffer is gonna pull threw he seems to be getting back to his self... lfs ordering me a new porcupine puffer.... any suggestion for 1 more fish that would make a good tank mate? Also only 2 new fish were added before the deaths not 3.... thanks for help
Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had an entire fishtank full of established fish all die in 10 minutes because of a pH fluctuation, so never rule a water quality change out of the equation.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
I had an entire fishtank full of established fish all die in 10 minutes because of a pH fluctuation, so never rule a water quality change out of the equation.
Yep. Its all it takes really. Sorry bout your loss.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com