cowfish nuked entire tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will never get a cow fish or box fish or any of those kind of fish they can release poisons at any time threaten or water conditions

Cowfish are absolutely adorable though, granted they also get large. The events certainly point towards moofish, a shame since they are so personable.

Yes they are I have had 2 cow fish and box fish they are great looking but when you have a lot of money in your tank is it worth it to take the chance (not for me)

I am a little late into the discussion but I would highly suspect the cowfish became stressed by the new addition thus releasing poison killing off everything. Lucky you got the survivors out when you did.

JustinKBreen said:
I am a little late into the discussion but I would highly suspect the cowfish became stressed by the new addition thus releasing poison killing off everything. Lucky you got the survivors out when you did.

Thing is tho it didnt kill off everything. Yeah i may be stretching for answers a bit, but im sure the OP doesnt want anything like this to happen again so im trying to figure out other possibilities for him to look at.

Fact is you may never know for sure. Not many facts to go on. Only point im trying to get across is just because you have a cowfish does not mean it is responsible for crashing your tank. Many other causes for tanks to crash, none of which where addressed or considered at the time.

I hope you have no future problems but if you do come back and we can really figure it out with ya man, best of luck.

What I ment was yes some outside source may have killed the cowfish, though I suspect the new addition to be the culprit, however once the cowfish died the poisons released poisoned the whole tank, which could/would kill off everything else in the tank.

There could be another issue at stake, but how does the saying go? The simplest answer is usually right? :)

JustinKBreen said:
What I ment was yes some outside source may have killed the cowfish, though I suspect the new addition to be the culprit, however once the cowfish died the poisons released poisoned the whole tank, which could/would kill off everything else in the tank.

There could be another issue at stake, but how does the saying go? The simplest answer is usually right? :)

Well cowfish actually can only release the toxin when they are alive, just to inform:)

I'm knocking on wood it was the cowfish.... looks like the dogface puffer is gonna pull threw he seems to be getting back to his self... lfs ordering me a new porcupine puffer.... any suggestion for 1 more fish that would make a good tank mate? Also only 2 new fish were added before the deaths not 3.... thanks for help

I had an entire fishtank full of established fish all die in 10 minutes because of a pH fluctuation, so never rule a water quality change out of the equation.

pcdebb said:
I had an entire fishtank full of established fish all die in 10 minutes because of a pH fluctuation, so never rule a water quality change out of the equation.

Yep. Its all it takes really. Sorry bout your loss.

it was definitely a learning experience, considering it was my fault :(

and I think the cowfish is so cute because it's so odd looking. I'll definitely have to study him before every making a choice to get one

pcdebb said:
it was definitely a learning experience, considering it was my fault :(

and I think the cowfish is so cute because it's so odd looking. I'll definitely have to study him before every making a choice to get one

We all make mistakes some times the littlest ones hurt the worst. Reading you can is about all you can do. Ive done some stupid things with my tanks without realizing it, nothing catastrophic tho yet *crossing fingers now i know i just jinxed myself*

Back
Top Bottom