cowfish nuked entire tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh24360

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bad first post I know ..... had my cowfish for several months wasn't aware ofbhis poison until after the purchase... he was happy and the life of the tank... we hand fed him and he was very social.... yesterday we purchased a porcupine puffed and a rock beauty.... they were all fine when we went to bed ...... woke up today to everything dead minus a clown fish and a blenny ... who both were on they're way out until removed.... all in all I'm out a few hundred bucks.... no more cow fish for this guy....

josh24360 said:
Bad first post I know ..... had my cowfish for several months wasn't aware ofbhis poison until after the purchase... he was happy and the life of the tank... we hand fed him and he was very social.... yesterday we purchased a porcupine puffed and a rock beauty.... they were all fine when we went to bed ...... woke up today to everything dead minus a clown fish and a blenny ... who both were on they're way out until removed.... all in all I'm out a few hundred bucks.... no more cow fish for this guy....

And what makes you think it was the cowfish? Could have easily been something else the way i see it.

Yeah I've read some people say they didnt beleave it would happen.... I'm living.proof

The addition of the puffer was my give away he acted a little aggressive

josh24360 said:
Yeah I've read some people say they didnt beleave it would happen.... I'm living.proof

? Thats not what i mean. What makes you think the fish died from the cowfish? And what would have killed the cowfish in the first place? Im not sure why you think the cowfish is to blame.

Also I have a well established cycled tank ... what else would kill everything dead in a 5 hour period out of the blue?

The cowfish doesn't souly release the toxin when dead its also released under severe stress my lfs owner said

josh24360 said:
Also I have a well established cycled tank ... what else would kill everything dead in a 5 hour period out of the blue?

Quite a number of things actually! Was your cowfish even torn up? Or any of this fish? Of it was a toxin your other fish probably would not be living either.

The fact that you added new fish could leave many possibilities on the table.

I just don't see what would of killed them so fast when the new fish had Ben in tank 12 hours before I went to bed then in bed for 5 hours and all dead

josh24360 said:
Yes carbon and was kinda milky

Most often if your running carbon the toxin will have a minimal effect if any. It could have been the cowfish but i wouldnt automatically think so just because he was in the tank.

What is you water testing? Fluctuation can occur when adding fish regardless of how established your tank is. Also new fish can come with disease and parasites. Some that can kill in less than 24 hours.

Idk about all the readings other than it.had 0 ammonia last night I did check that.... I just don't know why they would be fine eating at 5 am and at 11 all dead ... also the 2 new fish had Ben at lfs for past month I have seen them there before the purchase ....

josh24360 said:
Idk about all the readings

I would not be attributing the fish deaths to anything until i knew the water quality. If the cowfish had no apparent trauma or marks im highly doubting it even more.

Stray current, low oxygen, level spikes, severe ph drop, disease, aerosols, chemicals, etc can all kill overnight like you describe.

It could be something as simple as oxygen depletion. That would explain why it took less than 24 hours. Hows your flow? Air exchange and the like?

Perhaps your rite but I refuse to beleave everything was fine and eating for 12 hours then in a gap of 6 hours a bacteria or related took them out....

What could cause these level spikes or low oxygen etch in a well established aged tank that has had no issues?

crister13 said:
The introduction of a fish, overfeeding. Something breaking down......

Yes, if you have a low oxygen tank to begin with and you introduce a big load into the tank, the oxygen levels could not keep up, hence why it took 12 hours and why a few fish remained when the fish load began dying off and more oxygen became available.

Totally possible. Is it what happened, well that we dont know yet.

Back
Top Bottom