Crabs and Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's a definite I'm gonna have snails. Can I get by without hermits? I've read they have a bad habit of killing snails for their shells and was wondering if I could get the same benefits from just different types of snails? Some of the other crabs people have recommended to me don't really peak my interest and I have no real desire to keep them, not knocking them or anything just not anything I want. Yet anyway.

You will be fine with out hermits. They do attack snails for their shells when they need a bigger one. Snails do a better job than hermits too. Just stay away from turbo snails as they get too big and start to knock things over. HTH.

Ok cool. So would a combo of bumblebees,nassarious,nerites,ceriths be adequate to tackle the cleanup tasks till the tank matures and I can get a starfish?

Just remember that bumblebees are carnivorous and will eat other snails if there is not enough food in the tank for them.

Does maturity of a tank strictly have to do with age or the amount of forage and actual stability of the tank?

Usually the older the tank the more stable the tank. One thing I have noticed the first year we are busy getting fish and everything going so with each new addition the bioload will change even it if slight. The slower you take things the better I know from personal experience how hard that is to do.

I believe I will start with 2 each of the following
nassarious
nerites
ceriths
margaritas
maybe a turbo or 2

I'm getting the last of my rock tuesday or wednesday and the tank is currently cycling, as far as testing goes I know everyone says test everyday during the cycle but since the tank has just now started showing ammonia,no nitrite,no nitrate, could I wait a week before testing anything besides ammonia(to make sure it doesn't get too high).

I checked the ammonia and nitrite 2 days ago with the rock I have in currently(30 lbs). Got .25 ammonia and 0 nitrite(as expected). When I get the last batch of rock on tuesday or wednesday(about 30 more pounds), If the ammonia doesn't go any higher when I get my last batch of rock, should I dose it up to 3-4 ppm or let it ride and get my cuc after the cycle finishes?

The smaller the ammonia level, the smaller the amount of nitrifing bacteria will be produced and the more careful you have to be when adding animals because the bacteria will have to multiply to meet the new bioload. While you are waiting for the additional LR add some fishfood. Just a pinch or two to add to the bioload slowly.

Now murphy's law applies to me, if I do that and then get my last batch of rock I just know the ammonia will go sky flippin' high. It would be my luck the rock will have a massive die off and cause me a great deal of heartache. I believe I will get my rock and let it do it's thing for a few days and then if the ammonia is no more than what it is now. I will spike it up some. Thincat, I'm not knockin' your advice and greatly appreciate you and everyone else giving me these big time helpful tips, but I will play it safe and wait. An extra week is better than losing a fortune and moreso causing un-needed animal cruelty. But I may add a miniscule pinch just to keep any bacteria happy and hopefully not cause a phosphate problem,apparently I'm one of the lucky few whose water does not contain it.

If your new rock is not cured then be sure to scrub off as much of the dead life forms as you can. This will prevent a hugh spike that you are worried about. and you are correct in leaning towards the safe side. My point was to take oit slow and watch out as far as adding animals to fast.

yeah definitley, no animals will be added until the cycling is complete. At an average of roughly 25 bucks per fish, same for shrimp, to expensive not to mention cruel to do that

Back
Top Bottom