crabs in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ernie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all i have a FOWLR tank and was thinking of adding some crabs to the tank as the kids would like ot see them in there. My question is will they mess with the fish at all or the snails? Thanks to all.

not really sure of the different kinds, are there kinds i should avoid?

Sometimes a crab, depending on size, will kill a snail and take its shell, especially if there is a lack of shells its size.

Here is some possible crabs sally light foot, pom pom and emerald crabs, also there is a large variety of hermits some getting very very large.

i have a yellow tang, foxface, coral angel, mimic puffer, and clowns. i already have hermits and snails, son wanted some crabs but im not sure if they will nip at the fishes fins or attack them all together at night when they lay on the bottom? Thanks for any help or advice.

Avoid lighfoot crabs as they can attack fish. Emeralds are alright but mainly eat green algae so depending on your tanks growth u may need to suppliment with seaweed salads. Pom poms are awesome but hard to keep in my exp.

Emerald crabs would be a good addition. Though they're pretty good at hiding so they might disappoint a young crowd waiting for a show lol.

Back
Top Bottom