Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Search this site and I've mentioned a few that are considered fairly non-aggressive. Damsels aren't that bad if they are housed in groups of their own kind, otherwise they pick at other fish and especially if they are established.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

had a domino damsel and he was just the worst fish ever loll got rid of him he beat up my clowns almost to death ......

125G Reef Tank and Corals
29G Reef Tank and Corals
Reefpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
Search this site and I've mentioned a few that are considered fairly non-aggressive. Damsels aren't that bad if they are housed in groups of their own kind, otherwise they pick at other fish and especially if they are established.
Point being they are not peaceful, and have no place in a peaceful tank, especially smaller tanks. They are almost never stocked like you describe and that is why they are problem fish. They are cheap and for many, especially new hobbyist just starting. These fish are stocked almost always alone, in small tanks, with incompatible species and that is why these fish have the reputation they do. If they where stocked in suitable tanks with suitable inhabitants there would not be as many problems but way too often that is not the case.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Damsels one of the more aggressive fish in salt aquariums, they are very territorial and may not show it until months down the road when they snap and kill/attack anything. It is generally recommend to avoid damsels all together for this reason. Ive had my share of them and they cant be trusted, they are pure evil in a neat little package.
You are definitely right about that!!! I'll just keep him in this other tank...ALONE!!! LOL
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Lol demonic... Good word! 3 points!

And ya damsels are very mean, i you try and put him back in a few days be ready to pull him out again and rehome him or something... a 6 gallon tank with 2 damsels is why there is so much agression, a bigger tank would be nice for the two of them!
I think you've gotta good point!!! I think I'll just keep the hurt one in quarantine...ALL BY HIMSELF!!! I know dude...I need to get a bigger tank. I just don't have the room for it. I'm learning...You guys are teaching me what to do and what not to. Maybe one day...LOL...I'll be the smartest aquarist with a 90 gal tank!!! LOL )
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpete
had a domino damsel and he was just the worst fish ever loll got rid of him he beat up my clowns almost to death ......
IKR!!! My yellow-tailed blue damsel (the one who got the crap beat outta him) almost killed my clownie!!! He kept dive-bombing him...over and over. HOWEVER...clownie survived and is now bigger than damsel!!! LOL
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Point being they are not peaceful, and have no place in a peaceful tank, especially smaller tanks. They are almost never stocked like you describe and that is why they are problem fish. They are cheap and for many, especially new hobbyist just starting. These fish are stocked almost always alone, in small tanks, with incompatible species and that is why these fish have the reputation they do. If they where stocked in suitable tanks with suitable inhabitants there would not be as many problems but way too often that is not the case.
You are right. Next time I'll do my research...don't want this to happen again!!! Thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
I wouldnt put him back in. Damsels are DEMONIC. He will heal with time, but it should take awhile. GL!
They freaking ARE...aren't they!!! My gosh...pure horror... worse than sharks!!! Thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Believe in yourself no matter what!!!

EDIT:sorry that was my idiotic friend. ^
That's Ok...At least he's nice...very nice thing to say. Me and my damsels thank him!!! )
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:

Actually they could very easily hurt your filefish. Ive seen a damsel kill a lionfish man. They are that freaking mean.
My file fish is very powerful and fast plus has powerful mouth

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com