Crazycajuns new build 150 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay im jealous with everything u got...wish i could have space n bigger tank like u.....keep update.....

That is looking amazing! You feel comfortable with that door so close? Dont come home drunk stumblin in the door haha. Either way that is looking great

Riley said:
That is looking amazing! You feel comfortable with that door so close? Dont come home drunk stumblin in the door haha. Either way that is looking great

Lol it's just the angle of the picture.

Ok ammonia is 0 now waiting on the Nitrites to come down now. Starting to get some brown on the sand.

You'll need to dose the ammonia back up :)

You want to keep the ammonia dosed up and see it go to 0 after 24 hours. The nitrites will fall soon, just keep them fed with ammonia.

So u think bring back up to 2ppm? I have been following this. So I was waiting for the Nitrites to go down then I was going to add 2ppm of ammonia to see how long it would take for the Ammonia and Nitrites to hit zero.

MATERIALS NEEDED: You will need an ammonia solution, ammonia and nitrite test kits (a pH test kit is also a good idea) and a little patience.

FISHLESS CYCLING:
Day 1 - dose ammonia to 3 ppm
Days 5, 8, 11, 14 (every 3 days) - measure ammonia and nitrite
When both are gone add more ammonia to 3 ppm.
Now measure every 2 days - when both are gone add more ammonia
Now measure every day - when both are gone add more ammonia
Continue to measure every day - when both gone and you add more ammonia and both ammonia and nitrite are 0 in 24 hours you're done!
Do a partial water change and add some fish!

TIPS & TROUBLESHOOTING:
IMPORTANT - Do not let the ammonia or nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm.
If either does get above 5 ppm do water changes to lower the concentration.
You do not have to add ammonia everyday - the bacteria do not have to be fed every day.
Do not let the pH drop below 7. If it does do a partial water change to bring the pH back up.
Do not add ammonia removers to bind the ammonia - overdosing with these products will just increase the cycling time.

Last edited:
As long as there is no livestock in the tank, yep, redose it back up to 2ppm at least. It should vanish in 24 hours and will provide food for the bacteria to keep growing. :)

Once your nitrites go to 0 you're pretty much cycled and then you just do a pwc to get the nitrates down that should be present.

I guess about an hour is a good time to test the water after I add the ammonia to get the initial reading?

Question on Salifert Ammonia Test Kit vs API. On my api I get a reading of 1.5ppm and on Salifert I never got a positive reading. Has anyone had problems with Salifert? I had just dosed my aquarium with what should be 2ppm and the Salifert test did not show any ammonia. This is the second Salifert test kit that is doing the same thing.

Ran out of the ammonia I had... So I got the walmart great value ammonia. It says it only has ammonium hydroxide and surfactant. This should work correct? Anyone use this brand?

If you shake it, does it create any bubbles? If so then it is not the one, other than that I don't know.

adeian said:
Don't use anything with a surfactant in it or you will need to start over

Thanks just read that online also! Thanks a bunch I just ordered some from dr Tim's again.

That's odd, I use salifert and always get an accurate reading with all their tests. Is it out of date by chance? The date should be on the top of the box.

Also, I don't have their ammonia test, could you be missing a step? Their tests can be a bit cumbersome and confusing. lol
:)

carey said:
That's odd, I use salifert and always get an accurate reading with all their tests. Is it out of date by chance? The date should be on the top of the box.

Also, I don't have their ammonia test, could you be missing a step? Their tests can be a bit cumbersome and confusing. lol
:)

Not sure. It's only one solution that you add .5 then add the other .5 I had one that was out of date. So I thought that was the problem but this new test kit is doing the same thing. Guess I will stick with the API.

Tank is coming along. Ammonia is being removed every two days. Do hopefully any day now it will be removed I'n 24 hours. Then a water change. Then two fish. And order half of the CUC.

Crazycajun said:
Tank is coming along. Ammonia is being removed every two days. Do hopefully any day now it will be removed I'n 24 hours. Then a water change. Then two fish. And order half of the CUC.
Sounds like a plan to me ....which fish you looking at?

Back
Top Bottom