Originally Posted by boxfishlover
I have now learned that copper in a tank does NOT kill bacteria only a antibiotic will kill bacteria. Copper kills parasites. I have also learned that a fish can go without eating for months. Ich will kill a fish long before starvation. I have also learned quarentining a fish may reduce the chances of a parasite entering your main tank but does not gaurentee it. For the most part if you have a tank full of expensive fish and are going to introduce a new fish and want to greatly reduce the risk of infection you should pretreat the tank with copper before the fish is tanked. I have also learned when introducing a new fish I need to keep a closer eye on my exsisting fish and if I see any odd behavior or feeding change expect the worse and dose with copper and be aggresive with it. Most fish can handle a much higher dosage of copper than reccomended.
As far as nitrates staying down it is better that they remain low but not critical if having a CUC is not possible then more frequent water changes and bio chem zorb changes will effectively keep the nitrate level in check.
I'm sorry I have so many things against this post.
Copper should NEVER be added to a DT. The truth is, you don't know exactly what you are killing off. There is more then just copper in a lot of meds, and pouring them into your DT can trigger a multitude of things. If you dose with another med down the road, you are risking mixing chemicals that should not be mixed. I can't think of the combos off the top of my head, but I know there are certain meds that shouldn't be mixed.
Saying quarantining a fish will not completely prevent a transfer of parasites is like saying you can still get sick with a flu vaccination. Yes you can, but there is a 99.7% chance you won't. If you have a tank full of expensive fish, you should always QT new fish for a minimum
of 2 weeks, and that's if the fish was completely healthy for the whole 2 weeks.
You are right about observing your fish, some things can go unnoticed if you aren't looking. IME though its better to treat them separately, instead of bombing some healthy, some sick fish with a myriad of medications.
Also, I would expect to see some of your CUC die off, inverts and corals have a very low tolerance to copper.
I don't mean to preach, JM .02