Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ingy (yeah, I like to edit my post a lot! LOL)

That's why I am asking here. I don't want to put anything in my tank to stress anyone out.

So if the blue tangs are not a good fit what would you add? That's why I am asking here before I stock the tank! I see they need at least a 180 from liveaquaria, so I can drop them. What would you add?

I have not even bought the tank yet! I might have to get rid of my Yellow Tang and Yellow Eye Tang if I can not get this tank! I don't want to stress any fish out.

I was asking if the two Angels would be fine as long as they had space. If not what would be suggested for this size tank with the current stock list I have. Also liveaquaria says a Yellow Tang is good in a 100 Gallon tank, so I think a 120 long tank would be good.

Would it be cool to just add 2 more yellow tangs? Kind of like a little school of them? I know as long as I add all the Tangs together it would be ok. I am asking here because I honestly want to know what would be a GREAT stock list for this tank.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquandrew

According to this Websites it list the dimensions as 60L x 18W x 26H
Standard Aquarium Sizes | Fintastic.

So I don't know. All I know it's a 5 foot long tank! I know that! :-p It could be mislabeled? All I know it's way bigger than what I have now. It could be 18in wide because my 55 is only 12in wide and when I put the tape measure up to see how much more 18in would add it seemed about the size of the sides that tank had. When and IF I can put a deposit down on it I will check it out and measure the sides. In fact I will just call them now and ask them to do it for me. :-p

Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Straight from the horses mouth! They measured for me!

It is not 26in High! The tank measures in inches 60L X 18W X 21H.

So the website is wrong!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No more help? :-(
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

it will probably work for everything, but the blue hippo. even the yellow tang will need a bigger tank, when it is grown more. you don't want to stress the animals you care for, their life is in your hands
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with the Blue Hippos.

The Yellow Tang on Live Aquaria says 100 gallons is fine for their whole life.

I won't be doing the Blue Hippos. I just wonder what else would be good. I will eventually be getting a 180 or if I get this tank I will just save up for a bigger tank. Perhaps a 220. :-p
Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, So I am dropping all the BIG Tangs from my list of new comers! I still want to know how many fish would be good for this tank? I kind of want to be understocked but right at the limit of understocked.

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
1 Coral Beauty
(What I want to add)
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1 Foxface Lo
1 Striped Squirrelfish
1 Bristletooth Tomini Tang
Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would drop the Yellow...it really needs bigger. If you want yellow, maybe consider a Lemonpeel hybrid or Yellow Angelfish. I saw a hybrid the other day and really liked it.

The Squirrel is a cool looking fish, but they hide in the day and come out at night...just something to consider. Cool fish, you just won't see it much.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

TheTodd

I already got the Yellow in my 55. Just throwing it out there with the Yellow, but every single website says a 55 gallon is Ok for the Yellow Tang, but liveaquaria, which says it only needs a 100 gallons. 99% of the people on this website always says go to Liveaquaria for tank requirements. So why am I being told different now? :-(

I thought you knew that I had the Yellow Tang already? Remember I bought him because he was all tore up and in a small tank. I bought him and put him in my 55 gallon. He healed up and is looking awesome!

I was going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank the end of this year, but that fell though. I now have the opportunity to buy this tank for cheap and get it set up and running so I can get this guy a bigger space so he can grow more. He is not that big right now! I don't want to get rid of him because I got him when he was so pitiful looking and now he is gorgeous. It would be very hard for me to part ways with the guy after helping him heal up!

Also I wouldn't mind the Squirrel fish hiding! As long as when he is active at night he won't be tearing up my other fish that is sleeping. :-p

Also wouldn't adding another Angel to my tank be bad being I already got the Coral Beauty?

That said, the rest of my list (Besides the Yellow) look good to you?

To to clarify!

This is what I have now in my 55 gallon tank.

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
1 Coral Beauty

(What I want to add)
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1 Foxface Lo
1 Striped Squirrelfish
1 Bristletooth Tomini Tang

Also "TheTodd" This is a 120 gallon LONG tank. Not a 120 gallon Tall tank. I am well aware that the 100 gallon tank is 6 foot in length. The tank I am buying is 5 foot in length. The 120 gallon Long is about 2in taller than the 100 gallon but it's the same width. I just can't see how one foot will make a BIG difference in terms of my guys health. One thing is clear, I need to get him out of the 55 gallon tank!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay...so it is a 120, but 5'? I read so many posts and I think this one had me confused because at one point something was mentioned about a 75g.. . Will the yellow be okay in a 5' tank? Probably yes, but ideally I still feel that Tangs outside the bristle toothed group do better with 6'. Tank size does not directly kill fish, but it can cause stress, which often leads to health issues, which often lead to shorter lifespans. I try to go with larger than "minimum". That's just me.

I think the rest of the list looks good though. The squirrel fish was just an FYI as some people purchase fish like that not knowing they are nocturnal and then are disappointed when they don't see them much. They are great looking fish...just saw three at my LFS and was considering possibly getting a couple for my 240g.

Keep an eye on the new Tang. I've always heard that you should add Tangs at the same time or there can be aggression issues. Never personally experienced that though.

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com