Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crossing my Fingers!!

I might score on a 120 gallon tank with stand and hood for around $600.

That includes a sump tank that can do 200 gallons, a new double bright LED strip light, and a new hang on the back overflow that's rated for 150 gallons.

The Sump is used but it's been cleaned out already. The only issue with the tank is that it's not pre-driiled so I would have to go with a hang on the back overflow. Besides that the only real issue is the tank needs to be cleaned.

I would be buying it from a retail store that sales used tanks for people. The tank I would be buying use to belong to a Cincinnati Reds pitcher. I think it was "Mat Latos", but could be wrong. He upgraded to a WAY bigger reef tank and wanted to sale his old 120 gallon.

I was wondering your thoughts as this would be a FOWLR tank. I already got 80 pounds of live rock and 90 pounds of live sand in my 55. I wouldn't be adding more rock to the tank, but will be adding more sand. Not live sand.
The Tank, Stand, Hood, and Sump will be the only thing used. The Light Strip, HOB overflow, and Bio-Balls would be new.

I talked to him about the Bio-Balls and asked if I should add Live rock instead, he said being that it was FOWLR the bio-balls would be fine, but if I wanted to do a reef he wouldn't recommend them and go with live rock. I might just use the bio-balls for now and switch over to live rock latter.

My stock list would be what I have now, but I was hoping for your input on what else I should put in. I have right now!

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
1 Coral Beauty
1 Spiny Sea Urchin

I wanted to upgrade to a 75 to give my guys more room, but buying everything new for a 75 would cost just as much for this 120 gallon. The back of the tank is already spray painted black, so I would keep that. He also sprayed the two sides as this was in a wall I guess. So I will have to scrap off the black paint on the two sides. Besides that the tank looks like it's in good shape. Plus there is a warranty. My only issue is now that I will have to wait until the end of this month to put a $200 dollar deposit on it so he will hold it until the end of the month when I will have the rest of the money. So I pray it does not sale!

So in all for $600 bucks this tank comes ready to rock and roll out of the store. Only thing I would need to do is clean it and scrap the paint off the sides. I might touch up the stand and hood as well with new paint. :-p

Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

sounds good to me, though i would ditch the bioballs. they are known for causing nitrate issues. your yellow tang will definitely appreciate more swimming room.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's why I want this tank so bad! I know the Yellow tank needs a bigger space and I want to get him that space. I don't want to rehash the story but I got him and his yellow eye friend out of small tanks. The yellow was nipped to death because the tank mates he had in the bigger tank didn't like him. So they moved in in the small tank.

I was going to upgrade to the 75 because that's really all I can afford right now, but a used 120 gallon that's ready to go within the same price range would be a dream come true if it's still there by the end of this month.

Plus I want a Blue Hippo Tang and the 120 would be plenty of room for all my Tangs. :-p Becides the Blue Hippo Tang what else would be good to throw in there? I know I am getting another Six Line Wrasse as mine decided to Jump ship. :-/

How much fish could go in there with my current stock list? I would like a lot of verity that would not overload my tank, but make my tank Pop with color. I was thinking about 10 fish in total?

Here is what I was thinking.
(what I have now)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
1 Coral Beauty
(What I want to add)
1 Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Blue Hippo Tang

Plus I would still have the Spiny Sea Urchin.

I don't want to over do my tank, but I like Tangs. I know two angelfish are not so good, but I figured with all the space, plus with them being way different body shape and color I might be all right. Same with the Wrasses.
I would have to update my power heads as all I got is two nano for my 55.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Plus I want a Blue Hippo Tang and the 120 would be plenty of room for all my Tangs.
Are you sure its a 120 not a 125 gal tank? A 120 is only 4 feet long, and not really recommended for even a Yellow Tang (they recommend a 5 ft tank). A Hippo needs a wider 6 ft tank (rather than a narrow 6 ft tank front to back).

I would also ditch the bioballs now, rather than putting it off unit later. Its so much of a hassle changing that type of stuff when the sump is in operation.

Here's my 2 cents on that. Bioballs do 1 thing. They provide a surface for bacteria to convert waster to nitrate. But, thats already happening everywhere in you tank, glass walls, pumps, sand, rocks, plumbing, everywhere there is a surface.
My personal opinion on a sump is it serves 2 critical purposes; 1. an out of sight place to run equipment, including the all important skimmer (and heaters, reactors, ATO etc), 2. a place to grow macro algae or other plants to consume evil evil nitrates. Now if you have space and/or nitrites/ammonia become an issue you can add additional rocks down there, and the rocks will also convert a small amount of nitrate to nitrogen. Also it allows you to store some rocks that you might want to add to your rock structure down the road.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to that, i figured it was a 6 footer lol. if its not, you definitely won't be able to get a hippo. the only tang on your list, suitable for a 4 foot tank, is the yellow eye kole tang.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It might be a little bigger, because when I measured the tank it was 5 feet long.

Honestly it could be a little different because the 120 I see online are really tall, the one I am looking is longer and not as tall.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Guys, it's this!

120 Long 60 x 18 x 26

So I would only be losing one foot. I don't think that is going to kill the Tangs.
I would also be adding six more inches to my turn around space and 5 more in to my height.

The only thing that makes no sense to me is that the tall 120 is 24in high and the one I am looking at is 26in high. So why would the 48in be considered the tall one?

This would a great thing for me because I don't want to stunt my Yellow Tangs Growth, but I don't want to give him up. I was going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank the end of this year but that fell though, so I was going to go with a 75 gallon for a quick fix while I wait to get the money for a 180. This 120 long tank can make me rest at ease a little better because it will give my Tangs the space they need and not break my bank account. It would also be cheaper than the 75 gallon. I was ready to spend 800 dollars all for a BRAND new 75 gallon set up. If I can spend the 600 dollars for this tank plus a little more for other things needed, I would be happy and my fish would be happy. I am still going to get the 180 gallon someday.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i believe the 120 long is 18 inches high and 26 front to back and the 120 tall is 24 inches high and 24 front to back. you could probably get away with the yellow tang, but blue hippos need a ton of swimming space and some say they need 8 foot tanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unhappy

So you want to put a Yellow, Kole and 2 Blue Tangs in a single 120 gal 4+ft tank? And 2 Angels just to stress everybody out? Hmmm...there may be fishsticks in your future.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

OOps, timing issue. OK, so a 5 ft tank. The blues need significant turn around room. The 180 gal they recommend is also 2 ft wide. You higher 5 ft tank is also narrower.

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com