Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
No. it's nothing to be concerned with for a fowlr. As I said, the larger the particles, the more stuff will get caught between them. If you are planning on using a coarse grain, then yes, you'll need to vacuum, but a finer sand and you will not.
I would not want to vacuum my sand bed, even in a FOWLR. lots of things end up living in the sand bed that become food for your fish- I would hate to have to vacuum them out with the fish poop.
Thanks for your help

Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

I would have some sand sifting gobies and starfish to keep the sand stirred up. And as said, to protect the beneficial stuff living in the sand.
Thank you

Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
Conch snails are great for mixing up the coral, got few others that mix it up too but can't remember there names. Just watch with sand sifting gobys as like to jump as have just learnt
Would snails be ok in a biocube without the fishsaver plate that goes between the tank and the filter? Or crabs to for that matter
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee727 View Post

Would snails be ok in a biocube without the fishsaver plate that goes between the tank and the filter? Or crabs to for that matter
Well ain't had a biocube but can't see why not as got a in tank protein skimmer and bout 5-10 mm gap and only the small snails will go through the gap, just ask yourself if can fit and most likely will do plus crabs are little ninjas lol. I got peppermint shrimp that goes in my filter some how think there's hole in bottom where heater is.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use crushed coral in my FOWLR. The tank has been up for about 2 years. I have about a 2 inch layer on the bottom and it looks fantastic. My Chevron Tang loves the different sized pebbles and stuffs to pick up, clean, then toss throughout the day. I credit him with keeping the bottom of the tank PERFECTLY flat and manicured. I have a large skimmer and a good deal of flow and feed heavy. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. If I was going the reef route with corals that were very particular about water quality, I might reconsider, but I love the look in my fish only tank. The aquarium is at a point of balance now and the crushed coral plays a role.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
I use crushed coral in my FOWLR. The tank has been up for about 2 years. I have about a 2 inch layer on the bottom and it looks fantastic. My Chevron Tang loves the different sized pebbles and stuffs to pick up, clean, then toss throughout the day. I credit him with keeping the bottom of the tank PERFECTLY flat and manicured. I have a large skimmer and a good deal of flow and feed heavy. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. If I was going the reef route with corals that were very particular about water quality, I might reconsider, but I love the look in my fish only tank. The aquarium is at a point of balance now and the crushed coral plays a role.
I will only have a 29 biocube, can I keep a pair of ocellaris clowns with a chevron?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I need to get a CUC to turn it but I have a gap between the tank and filter so need to be careful of what I choose I guess.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee727 View Post
I will only have a 29 biocube, can I keep a pair of ocellaris clowns with a chevron?
I would do the pair of clowns, but the chevron is too big for a 29. LiveAquaria recommends 180g for a chevron.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post

I would do the pair of clowns, but the chevron is too big for a 29. LiveAquaria recommends 180g for a chevron.
Yah, I didn't count on being able to have any tangs. Oh well, I can paint my gravel vac like one and pretend

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com