Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crushed coral?

I will be starting my first S/W tank as soon as I get this biocube straitened out and have already purchased crushed coral for substrate. I have heard mixed opinions about it and was curious what you guys thought. If I clean bi-weekly can I root around in it with vacuum without worrying about stirring up too much bad stuff if it never has a chance to build up large amounts? Plus I'm planning on having a cleanup crew as well

Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am a fan of crushed coral for lots of reasons. Not necessarily good for fish like jaw fish.
But most of the natural substrate on a reef is crushed coral, some of it crushed down to sand sized particles.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha just ask same question, I think it's good but u shouldn't have much build up if its not to deep and don't no much on syphoning as tried when first got it and was pain in butt as more would end up in bucket but got few different kinds snail that live under it and a sand sifting goby so it's always getting moved about. I do wc once a week and use the end of hose to move some of the top stuff about and suck up the crap what comes from it. Can remember reading some where that syphoning to much is bad as got some kind of life form that helps keep it good
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies, I plan on having a pair of ocellaris clowns and maybe a bi color dotty( haven't researched alot on compatibility yet due to just trying to work out tank issues first). I plan on having live rock so I'm not too worried about not leaving a whole lot of BB in the coral. Maybe pantyhose over vac will eliminate sucking it up?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't know u will have to find out. Well did have sand sifting goby but he kill him self today as jumped onto my filter and did notice he was gone till was to late but think he jumped cus flame angle and tang would chase him so must of been stressed. Don't think pantyhose would work as got suck up bit of crap so will just keep one stirring up little bits with house and suck up the waste
Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
Don't know u will have to find out. Well did have sand sifting goby but he kill him self today as jumped onto my filter and did notice he was gone till was to late but think he jumped cus flame angle and tang would chase him so must of been stressed. Don't think pantyhose would work as got suck up bit of crap so will just keep one stirring up little bits with house and suck up the waste
Aaaahhhh, I hate to hear that. I'm sorry!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cheers just gutted as was my first fish lol
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have crushed coral and I just agitate the bed and get a good funnel going and clean the debris that's floating. I do weekly water changes...but I also fed my fish daily and my coral two -three times weekly with plankton and brine shrimp
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Whatever you use, the finer the grains, the less maintenance you'll have to do. Bigger grains= more detritus getting trapped and the need for vacuuming will arise.
I like calcium based substrate for it's buffering capability.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Whatever you use, the finer the grains, the less maintenance you'll have to do. Bigger grains= more detritus getting trapped and the need for vacuuming will arise.
I like calcium based substrate for it's buffering capability.
+1 the calcium carbonate it contains is a safety net if ph gets too low.

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com