CUC first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I've read that you should add the cleanup crew before any fish? Is this true?

Btw i have a new 20 gallon still cycling but i wanted to know if there was any truth to this?

Btw i have a new 20 gallon still cycling but i wanted to know if there was any truth to this?

I didn't add my CUC in my 120g till about 1 month after adding starter fish. You need to give your tank time to make stuff for your CUC to eat.

There will no doubt be algae and detritus from decaying organics that would feed a CUC. I would add one once the cycle is over. Dont add one before it is done though, as its torture to put animals through that.

Wait a few days after your nitrites drop to zero and then add some hermits and snails, but only a handful. Dont go adding any exotic star fish or what not. :)

Matt

Well it depends. If you used uncured LR to cycle the tank then will be some stuff for a cuc to live off. Generally I recommend holding off on a cuc for a few weeks. Get some livestock (1 or 2 fish) in there for a week or more before getting a cuc. Then start with just a few items (snails) and build up the cuc as the tank matures and the bioload increases. Don't buy a full tank cuc package on day 1.

+1 for Cmor's tip. If you add a big CUC right off the bat, most of them will die due to lack of food. I'd just start out with a snail or two and a couple hermits being that your tank is only 20 gals.

Thanks everyone. I was never going to add the CUC before the tank finished cycling. I know it hurts them. I will wait until I have a fish or two.

Back
Top Bottom