Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

CUC vs Fish first

My cycle with live rock is coming to an end. Nitrites were about 0.25-0.50 this am. My question is, should I add a few snails first (no hermits) or add 2 clownfish first? I have a 55 gallon with sump. I have a moderate diatom bloom. Mostly on my live rock (8 lbs) and a light dust on my dry rock (50 lbs) and a thin layer on the sand. Not on my glass but trace amount on my overflow column. I dont want a large Cuc because I dont want them to e hungry. Also will adding a Cuc cause a mini cycle?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm starting to feel like no one likes me here! Lol anyones opinion even If it's a seemingly dumb question?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

CUC first and no there will be no "mini cycle" wait till you have no ammonia and no nitrIte and do a water change to get nitrAte to zero.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really won't matter once your tank is cycled. Adding a cuc won't cause a mini cycle if you're fully cycled already. Their bioload is very minimal. If you want you can add both the cuc and fish at the same time. The cuc will eat whatever leftovers are available.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys! Did a pwc tonight and I will get a few snails tomorrow and in a week I so if all is well 2 clowns. )
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I still believe that fish should be first. This is just over my thoughts on their purpose, to clean up. If there isn't anything to clean up then why have them? And I don't see the point of feeding just so a cuc can survive.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought the same thing but census seems to be to add cuc first. Do I have to feed them ya think? Dunno If it's gonna happen tomorrow cuz with my pwc my nitrates are still 40 ppm so I'm assuming that's too high correct?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
Fish R friends, not food!

Yes, 40 is too high. I think fish should be first since they will have a bigger bioload to keep your BB thriving.

Tags
cuc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com