CUC vs Fish first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvbugg654

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cycle with live rock is coming to an end. Nitrites were about 0.25-0.50 this am. My question is, should I add a few snails first (no hermits) or add 2 clownfish first? I have a 55 gallon with sump. I have a moderate diatom bloom. Mostly on my live rock (8 lbs) and a light dust on my dry rock (50 lbs) and a thin layer on the sand. Not on my glass but trace amount on my overflow column. I dont want a large Cuc because I dont want them to e hungry. Also will adding a Cuc cause a mini cycle?

I'm starting to feel like no one likes me here! Lol anyones opinion even If it's a seemingly dumb question?

CUC first and no there will be no "mini cycle" wait till you have no ammonia and no nitrIte and do a water change to get nitrAte to zero.

It really won't matter once your tank is cycled. Adding a cuc won't cause a mini cycle if you're fully cycled already. Their bioload is very minimal. If you want you can add both the cuc and fish at the same time. The cuc will eat whatever leftovers are available.

Thanks guys! Did a pwc tonight and I will get a few snails tomorrow and in a week I so if all is well 2 clowns. :eek:)

I still believe that fish should be first. This is just over my thoughts on their purpose, to clean up. If there isn't anything to clean up then why have them? And I don't see the point of feeding just so a cuc can survive.

I thought the same thing but census seems to be to add cuc first. Do I have to feed them ya think? Dunno If it's gonna happen tomorrow cuz with my pwc my nitrates are still 40 ppm so I'm assuming that's too high correct?

Yes, 40 is too high. I think fish should be first since they will have a bigger bioload to keep your BB thriving.

Back
Top Bottom