cupramine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have had a problem with dieing fish so its been fishless for 5 weeks now.three days ago i put cupramine in there with like tripple the amount needed hopping to kill whatever is or was there.im only putting in a few dwarf lions and a leaf fish and fox face.so should i just wait a few more weeks to make sure this is dead.carbon takes out the cupramine so i should be good there

You should wait another week or so but is this your dt.Is there rock and sand in there or is it bare.

Did you dump all this copper into your display tank? If you have any live rock or aragonite sand, they will absorb alot of the copper and slowly leach it back out. Tripling the dose more than likely killed off all the bacteria in the tank too. You are probably going to have to cycle the tank again and it won't be safe for any inverts because of the high dose of copper you applied.

this is mt dt,no rock but the sand is there.cuprumine says carbon filters takes out all the meds.doesnt it get weaker with time anyway plus water changes

i cant have any invertes anyway cause of the lions

Poly filters are much better at removing copper than carbon is. They turn blue as they pull out the copper. Being you put in such a large dose, it will take a very long time for all the copper to leach back out of the sand.
What are you using for filtration since you have no live rock? You will have to cycle the tank again.

i have a emperor 400 and they have the blue filters with the carbon built in.never heard of poly filters

so the copper killed all my good bacteria and i have to start from scratch?i never did a fishless cycle.i cant believe i have to start this all over again

seachem makes cuprisorb specificly to remove copper and it can be regenerated. It will remove all the copper and allow you to put rock and inverts back in your tank just follow directions.

thanks ill look for that tomorrow,will i still have to cycle again.what if i check with my tester and everything is good will that mean im still cycled?

It could still be cycled but you don't have any fish in there to product ammonia or bacteria so make sure you check parameters after introducing fish and keep and eye on it.Also I've use cupramine and it didn't have any effect on my bacteria.

i just tested and everything is perfect.i have been putting alittle flake food in once a week .i guess it worked.so im going to try my luck on a fu manchu lion wed.hope i can get him to eat.i hear they can be stubborn

Back
Top Bottom