Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

cured live rock

Does anyone know of a good online place to get cured live rock?.... Hopefully cheap?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Unfortunately good quality cured live rock is not cheap. I have heard good things about live aquaria's live rock if you want to go that route.

If you are looking for cheap, I would recommend buying base rock from The Reef Rock Store, and then seeding that rock with 10-15 lbs of cured live rock from a trusted source. Within 6-12 months, you won't be able to tell the difference between the cured rock and the base rock.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You cannot get cured lr from an online source, there will be die off in the shipping process and it will need to be re-cured.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got mine here, it's not cheap but it was good quality. http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverock.html
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69 View Post
You cannot get cured lr from an online source, there will be die off in the shipping process and it will need to be re-cured.
I would disagree with this. You might see some minimal die off, but there are a lot of companies that do overnight shipping of cured live rock which results in minimal die off. I have seen a lot of testimonials of folks getting cured live rock online and not experiencing any cycle or nitrogen spike whatsoever. If it is packed correctly and shipped correctly, it can be done.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post

I would disagree with this. You might see some minimal die off, but there are a lot of companies that do overnight shipping of cured live rock which results in minimal die off. I have seen a lot of testimonials of folks getting cured live rock online and not experiencing any cycle or nitrogen spike whatsoever. If it is packed correctly and shipped correctly, it can be done.
We will agree to disagree, if there is die off, minimal is a relative term, there will be a spike, if there is an established biological filter present, it may not be evident, but if you were to use this as your entire biological media it will need to be re-cycled. If you don't believe me...take a piece of live rock out of your tank, package it as one of those companies would, leave it on your porch for 20 - 30 hours and then put it in a bucket of fresh saltwater and begin testing.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

ok, we can agree to disagree

Minimal is a relative term... but we are talking about a relatively insignificant number. I suppose there is relatively little die off too if you pick up cured rock at the LFS and transport it home. Maybe relatively less than shipping overnight, but still die off. I did caveat with if it is packed and shipped correctly.

At any rate, I certainly would not recommend anyone purchase any "cured" rock with the expectation that they can toss a bunch of coral and fish in the same day or even expect to not have to test or establish a nitrogen cycle. I am sure we can both agree on that.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
At any rate, I certainly would not recommend anyone purchase any "cured" rock with the expectation that they can toss a bunch of coral and fish in the same day or even expect to not have to test or establish a nitrogen cycle. I am sure we can both agree on that.
That is my point, if you cannot add cured lr (in sufficient quantity) and immediately add coral and fish (within the same constraints you would put on any newly cycled tank) then the rock is NOT cured.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ok. I understand. I guess when it comes down to it there aren't different degrees of cured. Just different degrees of uncured. So I retract my disagreement . You are correct.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies everyonr... I have a local place but they seem pretty expensive... $10+ per #.
What would you recommend for a 56 gallon tank in live rock weight?

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com