Cured or uncured live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcas3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on purchasing live rock and I don't quite know what to get. I'm under the impression that uncured live rock has more on in but what's the point if most of it will die when I put it in my aquarium. I really need some guidance here

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It doesn't really matter if you are starting the tank up. You'll need to cycle the tank, so I would get the cheapest available to you...macro/dry rock is a great alternative. This will let you put your money towards something else or a more expensive piece of equipment.

Would dry rock slow my progress tho?

No. Only fully submerged live rock would speed the process along, which is a pain to transport in all reality. Wrapping wet paper around the rock just doesn't do the ticket and there is die off.
Either way, gather up all you need for the tank and toss a raw cocktail shrimp in and wait.

Lol seems easy enough. They also at my lfs have base rock tht they have in water but it doesn't have growth on it? It's cheap is this good or not?

I'm sure it's fine, but you still need to cycle the tank. It'll take about a month to run its course so you can add fish.

First of all welcome to AA',

I agree with hank when I started my first tank I went with live rock,
by the time I got it it was moist but not wet 90% of the live stuff on the rock didn't survive,
LR isn't cheap and really wasn't any help to speed up the process, reef cleaners has 50# of dry rock for under $100. and john is one of our well known sponsors and he always adds more than what you ask for ,
best part about base rock it don't have any of those unwanted critters or parasites
good luck and look forward to see your build
just a FYI:
average amount of rock is 1 pound to 1 1/12 pounds per gal , same thing with sand

Yeah but if he is purchasing it from a lfs and not online, I doubt die off would be as much of an issue. When I get it from the lfs they always put it in bags with water from the "live rock" tank.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want 50 lbs of rock all bagged up for a drive home...and is way too expensive. I did live rock...after this tank it's all base.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want 50 lbs of rock all bagged up for a drive home...and is way too expensive. I did live rock...after this tank it's all base.

Well a cooler works as well and luckily for me the drive is about 6 minutes. ;)
But I only buy a few pounds at a visit anyway usually specifically for what is/how much is living on them, so not a big deal for me.
I definitely agree concerning the expense, so yeah, 40lbs dry base rock mixed with about 10lbs of live works just as good as 50lbs of live.

But you don't NEED live rock. The rock becomes live after the cycle.

True, unless you want to give it a "kick start".
I didn't start my tank with any live rock, but have added a few pounds worth just to seed the coralline algae and boost the anaerobic bacteria on the rock already in the tank.
As long as the rock in question is pest and pestilence free, it can't hurt. :)

Well I think I'm gonna go with base rock for the majority and a couple pounds of live rock to help with coralline algae. The drive from my lfs is about 30 min and I have 5 gallon buckets and an aerator for it too

Live rock in and cycling ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404357841.566167.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404357855.594205.jpg

Back
Top Bottom