Curing live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I decided to buy uncured live rock, what temp is the best temp to keep it at and will it make a huge impact on the cure time? I always buy it cured and QT it but never have bought it uncured.

nikki_kaiser said:
If I decided to buy uncured live rock, what temp is the best temp to keep it at and will it make a huge impact on the cure time? I always buy it cured and QT it but never have bought it uncured.

Doesn't make much of a difference warm the beta tho.

Curing rock is a pain... Make sure to have a heater and a power head, it can take a few weeks. And it can stinky tooo 8-(

I would cure the rock from 80-82. The cycle will go quicker warmer, but you want to maximize the life on the rock, so keep it warm, but not too warm. Also do plenty of water changes and plenty of water flow. Monitor the rock and if you see signs of fouling scrub it off, rinse it and put it back in the bin.

It is a pain, but IMO, you usually get the best life on the rock curing it youself.

It's hard to describe, it will usually be white, look kinda like fungus or a thick spider web. Think of the fuzz on food that has started to foul in the fridge....kinda like that.

0_o. ...ok, that's pretty nasty and I will be able to recognize that...lol! So basically anything else is ok? With the heat will algae grow on it?

Yep, pretty much everything else is ok, but if your unsure...take a pic and post it up. The temperatures I posted are warm, but within the acceptable range to keep your tank at, so there is no issue there.

reefrunner69 said:
Yep, pretty much everything else is ok, but if your unsure...take a pic and post it up. The temperatures I posted are warm, but within the acceptable range to keep your tank at, so there is no issue there.

I'm curing DIY rock rite now for my tank it is a long process

I honestly don't need a lot more live rock but I want to go through the process simply because I've never done it myself. I'm off to buy a few pieces today to start! I may do two batches at different temps just to see if one cures faster than the other does.

Okay...so Ive been curing this live rock for a few now. I've got to say that this is NOT my favorite part of this hobby! It's only 3 pieces and I put it in one of those big tubs you can use for laundry from walmart (plastic with rope handles) with a power head. My ammonia levels are off the charts every day! What am I doing wrong??? Should I be changing all the water, half the water or what?

Okay...so Ive been curing this live rock for a few now. I've got to say that this is NOT my favorite part of this hobby! It's only 3 pieces and I put it in one of those big tubs you can use for laundry from walmart (plastic with rope handles) with a power head. My ammonia levels are off the charts every day! What am I doing wrong??? Should I be changing all the water, half the water or what?

I would definitely be changing water, probably every other day I would do a 50% change, that way you can maximize the life on the rock and minimize the die off. It's not fun but it's worth it, IMO.

reefrunner69 said:
I would definitely be changing water, probably every other day I would do a 50% change, that way you can maximize the life on the rock and minimize the die off. It's not fun but it's worth it, IMO.

Yea I do a full water change everyday

Okay! So I have to ask, will this rock look better than my store bought cured? I need some incentive!

My experience was always better curing my own rock, but really it depends on the quality of the rock your curing and the quality of your store's rock.

Back
Top Bottom