Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Also, keep in mind that a seahorse is very hard on your bioload. They eat frozen mysis and it's recommended to feed 2-3 times a day. Even with rinsing and using a feeding station, it's pretty tough to feed that often and keep nitrates low.

For what it's worth, I did have clowns that outcompeted even my mandarin for frozen food. People have had good luck with clowns and horses, but be prepared to ditch them if they are too fast. If you can get a mandarin that accepts frozen, they are the perfect tank mates.

As a side note, melosu58 and I were running seahorse tanks around the same time, and I think we would both agree that they are tougher than you'd think.

I lost 2 of mine pretty quickly but kept the other 2 for about 9 months. I eventually sold them because they were just too demanding. I loved them. They were really fun to watch and feed. They really are demanding on your time, especially when you need to treat one for an illness (and you will). That gas bubble disease is a real killer and hard to prevent. I too would recommend seahorse.org. Please, read read read before you buy. The seahorse tank really is a different beast (low flow, lower temps, slow moving fish, etc.). The more you know up front the better chance you have at success.

Personally, I think they are still a little too demanding. Be sure you're ready to dedicate some time to the horses. If not, they may not be for you. Again - seahorse.org

- Skins

- Skins

210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks for all the tips.

Seems they are more trouble than they're worth. Might give these a miss.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote

community, community tank, seahorse, seahorses, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com