Custom Built 300 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cls8s said:
Why else would we be commenting on how much he was spending unless it was pointed at him spending too much on his aquarium. Read my previous post, I said he was burning money by spending that much on fake coral and rock. I could care less if he spent 12k on a 5 gallon goldfish bowl as long as it's made of solid platinum and the goldfish is solid gold.

Well obviously he already made the deal, so bashing him on "how he is spending too much money" is a pointless and poor argument.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I have a good question. The question is: Can I keep a Moorish Idol in a 320 Gallon aquarium?? I know they're a lot of work to keep, I'm having someone cone in and service it every Sunday, and I think that Moorish Idols are some of the most beautiful fish. I first saw them when I was diving in the waters of Hawaii. I know that there's this one Butterflyfish that looks almost the same, but it doesn't compare to the beauty of the Moorish Idol.

:D I am suffering from a severe case of tank envy.
I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.
If I had that kind of money I wouldn't let anyone tell me how to spend it. It's yours, you earned it and your buying what you want for your home.

People thought I was nuts :facepalm: when I paid extra for deep purple velvet custom recliners and a 7' couch, but purple is what I wanted.
I finally got to decorate my home the way I wanted.
Now when people see it for the first time they all think it's gorgeous.
And the most important part is that I'm very happy with what I got :D.
The couch is 7' long because my daughter is 6'1" and my 10 year old grandson is already 5'1". So I need a couch they can lay down on.

As long as your happy :dance: with the end result, that's all that matters.
Everyone is just freaked out about money these days, with the economy being so bad.

Even though I don't have the money, I still spend all that I can, first on my grandson and then on our fish. I'd be giddy with joy if I had $65,000.00 to spend on an Aquarium and so would my grandson.

If you can, post a few tank build videos:popcorn: . A tank like that deserves more than a few photos.

I'd avoid a moorish idol honestly. Beautiful fish but it is a harder one to keep. Check out a longfin bannerfish instead. Much hardier and looks quite similar. The thing is even under expert care they don't always survive. It's much more fun to have a tank that doesn't leave you wondering whether or not the fish are going to be alive in the morning.

Check out these. In my opinion some are just as beautiful as the idols: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&count=24&s=nlh&r=&start=1&page_num=1

Pictures once you get everything going please :) Oh, check out the emperor angelfish too.

Sarcothelia said:
I'd avoid a moorish idol honestly. Beautiful fish but it is a harder one to keep. Check out a longfin bannerfish instead. Much hardier and looks quite similar. The thing is even under expert care they don't always survive. It's much more fun to have a tank that doesn't leave you wondering whether or not the fish are going to be alive in the morning.

Check out these. In my opinion some are just as beautiful as the idols: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&count=24&s=nlh&r=&start=1&page_num=1

Pictures once you get everything going please :) Oh, check out the emperor angelfish too.

If I'm going to pay nearly $250 every week, it will be in expert care. I may even have a person come everyday if I have to. Yes, care and everything will be taken care of. My question is, What fish is compatible withe the Moorish Idol?? Are they aggressive??
Thanks,
Garrett

Sarcothelia said:

And thank you for the links!!
They were a big help and much appreciated!!! :)
-Garrett

Hello all,
This is just an update. Don't worry pictures will be up soon, for some reason my iPhone won't let me upload the picture:)(
BAD NEWS:
It is going to cost me another $6,000 just to tear the wall out. My wall violates the included standard wall-tearing service provided by Living Color. So, no kitchen aquarium.
GOOD NEWS:
The estimated completion time has been shortened, I am only weeks away from a beautiful saltwater aquarium.
WHAT I NEED FROM YOU:
I need advice on what types of fish I should get. I am already getting a Moorish Idol, so I need to know what fish is compatible with a Moorish Idol.
Thanks,
Garrett

with that size tank you can get pretty much anything honestly its all about what you want i think a school of tangs or anthias would be cool

gwolfe said:
Hello all,
This is just an update. Don't worry pictures will be up soon, for some reason my iPhone won't let me upload the picture:)(
BAD NEWS:
It is going to cost me another $6,000 just to tear the wall out. My wall violates the included standard wall-tearing service provided by Living Color. So, no kitchen aquarium.
GOOD NEWS:
The estimated completion time has been shortened, I am only weeks away from a beautiful saltwater aquarium.
WHAT I NEED FROM YOU:
I need advice on what types of fish I should get. I am already getting a Moorish Idol, so I need to know what fish is compatible with a Moorish Idol.
Thanks,
Garrett

I've seen great established tanks that can't seem to keep an idol longer then a year good luck hopefully with your setup the limit is the sky.

I think is what you like, go to dr foster smith and see -+ what you want and the compatibility chart so you can mix something you like, but with that tank at least 5-6 anthias :s nice and some angels

Deffo an emperor angel, get it as a juvenile and the colours are amazing, plus they get BIG!! I have a juvenile at the moment and he is amazing, you can watch them grow and change, a purple tang? Or a yellow tail tang, a puffer? A eel? Got to have some kind of tang

How are you planning on stocking the tank? Slowly?

I would hate you to stock it quickly then get bored.....

Deffo an emperor angel, get it as a juvenile and the colours are amazing, plus they get BIG!! I have a juvenile at the moment and he is amazing, you can watch them grow and change, a purple tang? Or a yellow tail tang, a puffer? A eel? Got to have some kind of tang

How are you planning on stocking the tank? Slowly?

I would hate you to stock it quickly then get bored.....

Yes, I am stocking the tank slowly.

Hello all,
we are filling up the tank Tom. For some reason, Aquarium Advice has disabled me from posting pictures. I will post pictures as soon as I can!!
Thanks,
Garrett

Ok, here's the pic of the tank. Nothing like the sketch that Living Color made. Also, Living Color has already made a living room/kitchen aquarium, so legally they can keep the sketch up on their website. The tank will not be built in, I already got the refund for it. They decided not to have the filtration in the side yard, because that would require them to tear apart most of the walls in the house to get the pipe through. I am not too satisfied with Living Color right now. :mad:

Attachments

• image-3883818911.png
    image-3883818911.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 237
If anyone says it's too small for a Regal Tang, you're crazy LOL

hackteck said:
with that size tank you can get pretty much anything honestly its all about what you want i think a school of tangs or anthias would be cool

Are you positive I can keep a Regal Tang in 300 Gallons?? JK ;)

Back
Top Bottom