Custom Built 300 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol 65k for fake coral and rock. Sometimes I like to burn my money too.

My wife and I make great money. But 65 k is a good deal of cash to go through on a build non the less im sure ever one would agree the extra car one spends 50k on and only drives it 3 monthes of the year would be more of a waste of money. Its something he can enjoy year round.

Why is his build thread being inundated with comments about money? It's his money and his tank.

Anyway... Congratulations on your new tank? Is the artificial coral a start up so the tank doesn't go through the new tank blahs while you wait on growth or are you just doing a fish only setup and won't ever be adding live coral? Also what are your fish plans? Obviously you're going to have a hippo tang so I assume it's going to be a peaceful tank. Schooling fish? The great thing about 300 gallons is you can put in some serious livestock.
Also... How do you access the tank for maintainence? Is the built in open on one side to allow for entrance into the tank?

My wife and I make great money. But 65 k is a good deal of cash to go through on a build non the less im sure ever one would agree the extra car one spends 50k on and only drives it 3 monthes of the year would be more of a waste of money. Its something he can enjoy year round.

I disagree. Assuming you were talking about a car that is actually worth 50k, you're analogy is incomplete. The correct analogy would be something along the lines of spending 50k on a 2011 Camero. Yeah, it's a very cool car, and everyone would want to see pictures, but if you go on a car fourm and tell everyone you've spent 50k on it, you're bound to get a few comments.

I'm very disappointed that people are afraid to comment on the money, or somehow think it isn't our territory. The amount spent was mentioned by the OP. Think about that, he didn't have to say it. I am definitely excited to see the results, but I'm not just going to continue posting as if everything is perfectly normal. Everyone here would voice their opinion if he was overstocking the tank, or if he was using 1/8" glass to build a 300g aquarium, or god forbid, wasn't going to cycle the tank. I'm afraid some people are missing the point of this forum.

Maya said:
Why is his build thread being inundated with comments about money? It's his money and his tank.

Anyway... Congratulations on your new tank? Is the artificial coral a start up so the tank doesn't go through the new tank blahs while you wait on growth or are you just doing a fish only setup and won't ever be adding live coral? Also what are your fish plans? Obviously you're going to have a hippo tang so I assume it's going to be a peaceful tank. Schooling fish? The great thing about 300 gallons is you can put in some serious livestock.
Also... How do you access the tank for maintainence? Is the built in open on one side to allow for entrance into the tank?

Most likely money is brought up since its a year or two wage for many of this forum.. either way could care less what poeple spend. I just can't wait to see pictures of he's build hope he stays around to show it off.

i agree its his money he earned it spend it however he sees fit unless he makes a post asking for donations its really none of our business lol

i agree its his money he earned it spend it however he sees fit unless he makes a post asking for donations its really none of our business lol

Maybe that's what I'll say the next time someone casually mentions they are going to put an Arowona in a 20g tank. None of our business. :)

roundar said:
Maybe that's what I'll say the next time someone casually mentions they are going to put an Arowona in a 20g tank. None of our business. :)

That would be your prerogative.

My gosh,forget about the money.I would build sea world in my backyard if I could afford it,and Lots of you probably would to.
Just look forward to hopefully seeing pictures and giving good advice if he asks for it.

My gosh,forget about the money.I would build sea world in my backyard if I could afford it,and Lots of you probably would to.
Just look forward to hopefully seeing pictures and giving good advice if he asks for it.

Not one person has said he was spending too much on AN aquarium. I reference my second to last post here.

Please read the posts from the start.

Reread the part I put in bold please.

I'm not going to argue like that in this guys thread though. My position is clear, no one cares how much someone spends. They would make the same comments if someone was going to pay $2500 on a 10g tank. People shouldn't be discouraged from voicing their opinions about facts that the OP volunteered.

OP, I'm still excited to see pictures and will keep following.

Why else would we be commenting on how much he was spending unless it was pointed at him spending too much on his aquarium. Read my previous post, I said he was burning money by spending that much on fake coral and rock. I could care less if he spent 12k on a 5 gallon goldfish bowl as long as it's made of solid platinum and the goldfish is solid gold.

Well congrats and hope u enjoy, like to see more pic's, look great but always u will hace people argue all, at the end....

Is ur house
Ur money
Ur wishes
So keep updating

Congrats on earning enough capital to do what YOU wanna do,...I'm jealous of course, and maybe I would do the build differently from you BUT it's your build,...congrats on your project,... Please post pictures when available,....Dary

Last edited by a moderator:
Man 300g that's supper sweet, I've seen some of the fake corral first hand by them and well.... It's great, really realistic all the colours and half the hassle, well done for taking the plunge, in relation to money I would spend 100's of thousands on a tank if I had the capital and the room, I mean when I first started my 65g I spent what I could afford, and I spent £2000 on a 65g because I could afford it, he has only spent what he can afford and that's what we all do on here.

Well done mate and all the best on your tank and hopefully I'll have a 150g in my next house :)

Today I got the filter. It's huge. The box itself is big. The filter will be installed in the side yard. It also has a built in heater, so basically all I have in the tank is the fake coral, sand, and fish. It's gonna look good in the end. Our wall that separates the living room from the kitchen is being torn down Tom.

BTW, sorry I didn't mention that it's actually 320 gallons. I just rounded down to 300. Sorry I didn't tell you guys before!!
-Garrett

I think it's cool and can't wait to follow this build. Heck, relative to my salary as a math teacher, I spend too much on my 75 gallon!

Back
Top Bottom