Custom Sealife w/Moonlite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderer90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone and TIA,

just bought the custom sealife w/moonlite and was wondering if i should keep the atinic lights on all the time, or just a dusk and dawn? will the two 96watt 10,000 sunlight be enough to make the coraline algea grow on the live rock in a 150 gal fowlr?

wondering if i should keep the atinic lights on all the time

Yes, you should keep the actinics on, it's debatable whether you should keep the moonlights on. Personally I would turn the moonlights on when the tank lights go off.

hey kevin,

thanks really appreciate the advice, just curious what the actinic light actually does besides makes the tank a blueish hue?

Not a bad hue. I have those lights. I love them. It gives off a great color light with all four bulbs on. Also, the only part about the moonlights is there is no switch for them on this fixture, you would have to unplug them to turn them off, so i leave mine on all the time. HTH

:hat:

Leaving the moonlites plugged in all the time does not hurt anything. These are LED lights rated for 50000 of continuos use. If one should burn out in the first year CSL will replace it for free. A simple light timer also works quite nice for turning them on and off.

Thanks,

Darin

www.captivereefs.com

I have that same light and i turn off the moonlight when i go to bed. It makes the tank to bright for the whole night.

just curious what the actinic light actually does besides makes the tank a blueish hue?

It gives light in the 420 to 490 nm range, which is supposed to be easier for the algae in the corals to use for photosynthesis. It will also add to the intensity of the light you have and make it easier to keep a wider variety of corals than if you just ran the daylights.

I most reef setups, we opt fr a 12hour photoperiod. Personally, my actinics are on 12 hours and my MH is on 10, giving a dawn and dusk effect. If you have moonlights, you could have them on 24/7 or you could set them on a timer to come on when the other lights go out.

Back
Top Bottom