Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

CustomSeaLife light ?

Does any one have any experience with this light. It is on sale at Big Al's and their website doesn't provide much info on it...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2285

Old 04-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forgot to mention that it is for a 75 gal that I am setting up. fowlr eventually to be reef.

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
Dod you know that the company made the light went out of business, unless I heard it other wise, that why it is onsale and labled as discontinued product! And as of performance of the light, don't know since never use it
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
They did indeed go out of business, or were bought out. The new company is making the same exact lights only labeled Orbit. I have one and think they work just fine
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
steve-s

Custom Sea Life is (was) an excellent manufacturer. If you note, Big Al's is also honoring the original warranty. On a 75 gal tank I wouldn't suggest the 2x65w though even at that price. 4x96w Pc or even a MH/PC combo would work better for an eventual reef tank.

Current USA is the company that bought out Custom Sea Life. You might also want to check with Darin at >>Captivereefs.com<< . I'm not sure if Loganj has any at >>Captiveraisedcorals<<but you might check there as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I currently have 2 NO two-tube 48" strip lights. One of them has actinic's in it. The tank hasn't been set up yet. Would the 2x65 PC supplemented with MH in the future be a bad idea? (supplemented with strip light for now) ...Or should I just wait and get 4x96 PC or 2x96 w/ MH in the future?
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to seehorse Send a message via Yahoo to seehorse
I have a 72" CSL PC Moon-light setup that I bought about 2 weeks ago. It was the last one in the shop and I know they went out of business b/c the owner sold his property for a Walmart or Target. There is a company called Current USA that was started by one of the partners. I would not hesitate to buy one of these units.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound_for_obx
I currently have 2 NO two-tube 48" strip lights. One of them has actinic's in it. The tank hasn't been set up yet. Would the 2x65 PC supplemented with MH in the future be a bad idea? (supplemented with strip light for now) ...Or should I just wait and get 4x96 PC or 2x96 w/ MH in the future?
On a 75 gal tank, I would go for the "eventual" 2x96w with MH combo. The 65w bulbs will not be long enough for a 75 gal and won't give you decent amount of coverage or penetration. If that's the route you choose, I would suggest a retrofit PC set up instead of a complete hood. That way you are not spending the money on a hood you won't use very long. The MH can then be incorporated later on with an additional retofit.

A DIY hood can be built from the start with the end goal in mind and still use the 96w PC and the NO tubes..

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for calming me down steve. That price was so d*** attractive! I'll look into the retrofit sets. I should have been thinking about building the hood from the start. My woodworking skills aren't half bad.

Tags
custom, light, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com