Cyano!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I've been battling high nitrates since I set my tank up 5 mo. ago, it was previously setup so my cycle was minimal. However my nitrates have always been in the red. I've had previous posts with lots of feedback on tackling this but so far no go. I usually use RODI in water changes but in a desperate attempt to drastically lower these nitrates I just used treated tap water as my Rodi takes so long to make any decent volume of water. Now my tank is exploding with cyno. I'm at my wits end should I move my fish and corals out into a small tank briefly and do a 100% water change? I just don't know what else to do. Please help!

What is the TDS reading from your ro/di? Treating tap water will only remove chlorine, not nitrates, and probably didn't help matters, probably explaining why your system is "exploding" with cyano.
Battling cyano is "easy", but a long drawn out battle sometimes. Tell us more about your system, livestock, what kind of filtration, and how much/what you feed.
I would increase water changes, between 20-50% and siphoning out the cyano with some airline tubing. Increasing flow in the tank will assist with the cyano, as it likes low flow, but the overall issue is those nitrates.

I do not have a tds meter yet but the unit is only 3 months old so I would assume it should be ok? I have a 125g with 2 small clowns 2 fire fish 1 damsel 1 dotty and a blenny, a small cuc, an electric green zoa colony and a green star polyp colony. I have a 40 gallon wet/dry trickle sump that I converted to a refugium with LR rubble and chaeto, a skimmer of course although maybe a bit small, 2 large power heads that look like korralias but I cannot locate a model # on them and 2- 30" 4 bulb coralife T5 HO fixtures with 10K white and actinic bulbs.

Sorry I feed every other day flake food with freeze dried krill mixed in. Usually in the am. I did test my tap water and all basic params were in acceptable levels ( 0 across the board) I only used the tap water after having it suggested to me here as a quick temporary solution to lower my trates

Back
Top Bottom