Cyano Bacteria Taking Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heythereyou94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys this may be in the wrong section, sorry if it is but its my first time here. I was just curious, I have a 65 gal FOWLR tank and i'm having a very bad problem with Cyano bacteria taking my tank over. I know its not necessarily bad for my tank but its an absolute eyesore. I don't overfeed, its not exposed to direct sunlight, and I only use T8s, I know its not recommended but I don't yet have the money for better lights. I think its because I don't use R/O water but I was just curious, if I use KENT Phosphate sponge, from now on only use R/O water for changes and make sure I still don't overfeed will this kill the cyao off or will I have to buy the Chemi-pure, along with doing all of what I jut listed in order to kill it off? Sorry for such a long message but there was a lot to explain. Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• 100_0784.jpg
    100_0784.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 177
I had the same problem on a tank I had just get some chemiclean from your LFS follow instructions and in a few days your tank will be looking great again

Using chemiclean or Chemi-pure is a quick fix until you can correct the problem. Old lights and high phosphates are some things to check for. IME every new system goes through it within the first year.

Makes sense

The idea that all new tanks go through it makes sense because its only been setup for about 6-8 months, also to either of you, do you think a t5 234 watt light would keep coral in a 65?

heythereyou94 said:
Hey guys this may be in the wrong section, sorry if it is but its my first time here. I was just curious, I have a 65 gal FOWLR tank and i'm having a very bad problem with Cyano bacteria taking my tank over. I know its not necessarily bad for my tank but its an absolute eyesore. I don't overfeed, its not exposed to direct sunlight, and I only use T8s, I know its not recommended but I don't yet have the money for better lights. I think its because I don't use R/O water but I was just curious, if I use KENT Phosphate sponge, from now on only use R/O water for changes and make sure I still don't overfeed will this kill the cyao off or will I have to buy the Chemi-pure, along with doing all of what I jut listed in order to kill it off? Sorry for such a long message but there was a lot to explain. Thanks in advance guys.

My friend had a cyano outbreak after he tried the "vodka method"... He literally took ever piece of live rock out and scrubbed it clean, cleaned the sandbed, did a huge water change, and used chemi-pure as well. He did larger water changes more often for quite a while and got rid of it hit that stuff is terrible to have to deal with. Do you have a good protein skimmer?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I had no idea you could find R/O units for as cheap as some of them are around here, i'm going to get one of those soon and try only to use R/O water from now on, along with that i'm going to get Chemi-pure and use it along with a phosphate sponge just in case.

If you use chemipure elite should take care of phosphate too.

They last 4-6 months at the time

Definitely wouldn't have a tank with no Chemi-Pure! Stuff is heaven sent! Lol

Can use chemi pure in a hob filter and if I can do I have to remove cartridges or do I just add it in there wih it

reyma10 said:
Can use chemi pure in a hob filter and if I can do I have to remove cartridges or do I just add it in there wih it

You can use it in a hob. Take out the carbon and Just put it where the carbon goes. It comes in its own little bag.

I have 2 55/75 aqueon filter running on my 55 so they have 2 cartridges each so I would have to buy 4 packs of chemi pure or can I split one bag for each filter

reyma10 said:
I have 2 55/75 aqueon filter running on my 55 so they have 2 cartridges each so I would have to buy 4 packs of chemi pure or can I split one bag for each filter

On the container of chemipure, it tells you what size to get for each size tank. There's really no way to spilt a chemipure unless you buy another bag to put it in. They come in half and whole units. You could do 2 whole units I think for a 55, I would put 1 unit into each. Chemipure lasts about 3 months, unlike carbon which needs to be changed every month.

The idea that all new tanks go through it makes sense because its only been setup for about 6-8 months, also to either of you, do you think a t5 234 watt light would keep coral in a 65?

this is simply not true, cyno doesnt not show up in all tanks. I got it in my first tank a 25g Reef but after that I have set up a 75g Reef, 40g FOWLR, 3x 20g Fowlr and not one of them has had cyno because I learned how to control it the first time around. First of all old lights do have somewhat to do with it, if you are using t8s just go buy some new bulbs they are dirt cheap so no use in not doing that. Also what type of food are you using? I am not pointing at over feeding because I feed the hell out of my tanks but I have found some foods even in small amounts feed cyno.

Also a note on your Lighting yes it will do but go LED dont bother with anything other then LED its pricy for good stuff and not so bad for decent fixtures. Dont get like a marine land get a true reef LED. they will save you tons of money in the long run. I built 2 pendents that have 25leds on each of them all 3w on dimmers and it cost me 500$ to make thats the same as a decent t5ho fixture and I dont have to spend 120$ on bulbs ever 7 months. Also LED has much better water penetration so you will be able to have corals on the bottom of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom