Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't think anyone will say that using IO will enhance or cause cyano.

Speaking from my experience with that mix I had more cyano issues when I was using it. Now that could have been any one of a million other reasons. As Mike and ccCapt pointed out there are a lot of people that use IO, and have used it for years, with great success. Heck it is one of the best selling most popular salt mixes on the market. Like I said, it just happened that while I was using IO I had more issues with cyano then when I wasn't.

I prefer Reef Crystals over the other brands but that is a personal choice and based on how my tank responds to that mix.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always had cyano issues as well with IO. What helped me with it is that Innovator suggested I check my alk levels. Turned out they were low and were adjusted accordingly and the cyano subsided quite a bit. It didn't cure it, but it certainly helped alot, at least in my case.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
I always had cyano issues as well with IO. What helped me with it is that Innovator suggested I check my alk levels. Turned out they were low and were adjusted accordingly and the cyano subsided quite a bit. It didn't cure it, but it certainly helped alot, at least in my case.
I'm glad you posted this.

This is exactly the point I was working towards. This proves that other issues could be the cause of the cyano and not the use of IO. It never occurred to me to see if low Alk was the issue in my system. I know a lot more now then I did back then.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Most of the time a salt mix does not cause algae unless a particularly bad batch, but compositions change once water is mixed (ro/di or not) and especially when added to aquarium dynamics. Most algae problems can be solved by maintaining recommended water chemistries (including alk, ca, po4, etc), limiting import (overfeeding or feeding unnecessary foods), maximizing export (water changes, skimming, and use of macroalgaes), and decreasing possible stagnant areas via water flow.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
It didn't cure it, but it certainly helped alot, at least in my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Most of the time a salt mix does not cause algae unless a particularly bad batch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I'm glad you posted this.

This is exactly the point I was working towards. This proves that other issues could be the cause of the cyano and not the use of IO.
I understand this issue is happening with other users of IO and I am not saying that everyone is experiencing Cyano with IO. Just wondering if it's not higher Alk solving the issue. Then like Innovator says it could be a bad batch. and your right IO is highest selling salt mix on the market and there could be a few that leave that are not measure to the standards that are recommend for SW keeping which is causing outbreaks of this sort. But maybe I'll stay with it and see what happens you never know it could be a slight miss reading of my test kits or maybe I had a Bad Batch of IO.... But I guess we all would never know the real true of this out break.... Keep me posted if anyone has any other updates on this or experienced and issue. I am glad I have you guy here for help and support... I greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
I understand this issue is happening with other users of IO and I am not saying that everyone is experiencing Cyano with IO. Just wondering if it's not higher Alk solving the issue.
The problem wouldn't be the alk level of IO, because it has 1 of the highest alk levels (12 dKH) of any salt, it would be the alk level in the tank.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the "IO=cyano" thinking comes from a "salt study" that Borneman presented one time. If I recall correctly, in his test he ended up with cyano in the test tank that used the IO. There was no other testing done to determine if the cyano was directly related to the IO, and the test procedure was a hotly debated topic (and still is in some circles.)

Strictly in my opinion, that "test", combined with anecodatal evidence from other users of IO, has promoted the thinking that IO can cause cyano problems. As noted earlier in the thread, there are soooooo many parameters we can futz with in our tank (knowingly and not-so-knowingly!), it would be impossible to pin something down to a certain salt mix.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
As noted earlier in the thread, there are soooooo many parameters we can futz with in our tank (knowingly and not-so-knowingly!), it would be impossible to pin something down to a certain salt mix.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I think the "IO=cyano" thinking comes from a "salt study" that Borneman presented one time. If I recall correctly, in his test he ended up with cyano in the test tank that used the IO. There was no other testing done to determine if the cyano was directly related to the IO, and the test procedure was a hotly debated topic (and still is in some circles.)

Strictly in my opinion, that "test", combined with anecodatal evidence from other users of IO, has promoted the thinking that IO can cause cyano problems. As noted earlier in the thread, there are soooooo many parameters we can futz with in our tank (knowingly and not-so-knowingly!), it would be impossible to pin something down to a certain salt mix.
Agreed. Though with the chance of IO being a contributing factor for cyano, I think I'll try something else next time. Just to be safe. I doubt it 'causes' cyano, but it may lend to wate perimeters that allow cyano to grow easier... just like using some tap waters doesn't mean you'll get algae blooms, but it can increase the chances for some.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com