Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
actually quick cure has malachite green and formalin dont think it has copper but i dont know if these will prevent you from having a reef in the future

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't ever treat anything in your display tank. Meds that kill bacteria and parasites on fish... Kill bacteria and critters on rocks and filters. Malachite green has been described as "chemo for fish", super harsh and fairly toxic. Not good for your live rock, sand, or inverts. This is why you need quarantine tanks/ hospital tanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah well. In that case it is still bad regardless of whether or not it has copper.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Don't ever treat anything in your display tank. Meds that kill bacteria and parasites on fish... Kill bacteria and critters on rocks and filters. Malachite green has been described as "chemo for fish", super harsh and fairly toxic. Not good for your live rock, sand, or inverts. This is why you need quarantine tanks/ hospital tanks.
yea but ive always read that copper will soak into your lr and prevent future reef use is the same to be said for malachite green?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I did not know all of this.

Gladly though the white spots are completely off of my fish and the clownfish have a lot less velvet looking stuff on them. Tomorrow is the last day of treatment. I did not know this stuff was this harsh.

By "live rock" I mean that it is base rock but is live because it has beneficial bacteria on it.

So if I go reef down the road should I replace the rocks and sand or give them a good boil or...

What if I just do a bunch of PWC's and run a lot of activated carbon before then?
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
do you have any inverts in the tank at all? if so, and they lived through the treatment, you should be ok to keep the rock and sand.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like mr x said... If your inverts survived you should be fine. If you don't have inverts, watch for an ammonia spike or a cycle and see if that indicates a bunch of die off.
In the future I would use a hospital tank to
Treat my fish. If you had coral or inverts in that tank already you would/could have poisoned all of it. Be super cautious when you do add inverts if you don't already have them. If you add something to your tank and it dies, I would get rid of the rock. At this point it really boils down to what strength you used the QuickCure at as to how toxic it is. Any med that says reef safe, doesn't work IMO. All of your effective meds like copper, formalin, malachite green are toxic for your reef. A qt doesn't have to be fancy. A rubbermaid tote will work. But 20 or 30 dollars can end up saving you thousands in the end. Before you go out and buy a suggested meds or treatments, research it and it possible side effects.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the replies. Nope, didn't have any corals or inverts in there. I removed the snails and crabs and put them in a rubbermaid tote before i started treatment.

Can a 10g with hang on back filter and a heater be used as a hospital/quarantine tank?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Massive ammonia spike. Bout 2.0. I see lots of pwcs in my future. I am using tap water cuz it takes me forever to make rodi water. I will use prime. I wonder if they would be better off in a 10 g till I get the dt under control
Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I remove the rocks and clean them? Looks like I'm going to cycle again and might as well get the dead bacteria and quick cure off

Tags
cyano, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com