cyano problems help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podman1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
help i have a big problem with cyano bacteria my phos. lvls are 0 i dont over feed what is causeing it and how do i get rid of it

When you do PWC`s try to siphon out as much as possible. Cut down on the nutrients in the tank and read that article that Kurt gave you.

is the cyano in "dead" areas too - where there's not much water movement?

How often are you feeding and what's in the tank? Like said before, need a lot more info on your setup to help.

I had Cayno Problems too, I attached a Picture so you could see the red line on the far end of the tank.... I would use the Article like everyone has suggested.... If you are running tap water its not fun you would need an RO/DI system also suggested by the others. I just wanted to share my expirence with you on this issue. If you are using Tap Water your in for a ride as for me right now I am fighting with Cayno and Diatoms also every other week as I to need and RO/DI system. You can read about RO/DI systems here to give you a better understanding. If you follow the rules they provided for you, you shouldn't have any problems getting ride of it.... :new-alien:

img_917516_0_bea85f8600153a8dd191cff1aa73dcb5.jpg

Good advice so far. My guess is that it is in areas of low flow. What happens is the detritus is driven into the low flow areas and settles and that allows the cyano to take hold. As the others said try and siphon out as much as you can when you do PWCs. Frequent PWCs will help reduce any excess nutrients in your system.

As Kurt said we need some more info on your current setup.

i have 75 gal all my readings are 0 (amm, nit, nitrates , phos,ect) i use R/O not tap water i have 8 fish total all small 2inch or about ther except for the yellow tang. i feed 1 a day. there are live and dead spots of it i thought i had good flow throught the tank.......i have chemicals to remove it but i want to use it as last resort only....im shure im missing something but what im not shure 8(

i have 75 gal all my readings are 0 (amm, nit, nitrates , phos,ect) i use R/O not tap water i have 8 fish total all small 2inch or about ther except for the yellow tang. i feed 1 a day. there are live and dead spots of it i thought i had good flow throught the tank.......i have chemicals to remove it but i want to use it as last resort only....im shure im missing something but what im not shure 8(

You talking about Cayno?

that sounds like it, i dont want to go nuclear on my tank so i guess ill feed every other day now and do small pwc every week (includ vac. the bed) and try to increase the flow

If it was me I would siphon it up. Even if you have to take a little sand with it. Also Chemi clean is a short term or what I call a bandaid solution. You are doing the long term solution by cutting back on nutrients and doing PWC`s. Good for you.

Read the Article that Kurt Nelson has provided follow the instruction and everything should work out....

I agree with Kurt and would even bump that up to 30% or better. Frequent PWCs will take care of a host of issues and make for a happier healthier aquarium.

i have only been doing 20% once a month my numbers stay at 0 even at a month but i still do one

That's probably the main source of your problems right there... in my opinion, 20% every two weeks is a bare minimum. Not only are you getting rid of excess nutrients, you're replacing trace elements and keeping your pH stable.

The thing with cyano, and other nuisance algaes, is that they will suck up nitrates and phosphates as quick as you can put them in your tank. Very often, people will measure "perfect" water conditions while battling cyano, but the very fact that its there means it's feeding off something.

It probably wouldn't hurt to run some carbon and a phosphate remover (GFO or granulated ferric oxide) in a media bag somewhere that gets decent flow (cannister filter, sump, hang on back filter, etc) for a while if you're not already, in addition to more frequent water changes. That, and sucking the cyano out with a siphon hose - and taking some sand with it - should really put a dent in it.

ok ive moved feedings to every 2 days and started weekly water changes in hopes of getting a grip on it , i know it hasnt been long enough to see results but im hyopefull it will work 8)

Back
Top Bottom