Cyanobacteria from hell!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been flooded with cyanobacteria! It's a 20 gallon FOWLR with 1 blue damsel, 1 pj cardinal, 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 bluelegged hermit crabs, and 1 hawaiian feather duster. I've always had a bit of a cyano problem, since the tank was first cycled. It's about 6 months old.
Any way I can get rid of it? It's super ugly.

Let's talk about the tank: What are your water parameters? NO3, PO4 particularly?

What kind of flow do you have?

Is the cyano growing in a low or no flow area?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0 (odd?)
I have a powerful HOB filter, with 200 Gph, and a power head with 170 gph. It's grows in high flow areas. Especially in the front.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130113_182017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130113_182017.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 255
Very well could be. Tap water can often lead to problems in a SW tank. There are folks who do it with great success but it is very dependent upon your particular water supply.

Dont feel too bad because im on the same boat but not as bad.. "Always" have it my tank and im using gfo but doesn't solve the prob.

There's no places that sell Ro/Di in my area, and I don't feel like buying am expensive ro/di unit. Would bottled water work?

Well, I was wanting to use bottled until I could affort an ro/ di unit. I'm only 14, and simply cant afford one at the moment.

You could use distilled. Water or one of those water machines where you fill your own like at Walmart. Not always reliable but generally better than tap.

Wow that is some bad cyano. Do what fort says if you can't afford rodi then use the stuff from the machines at the grocery store. They worked for me for the first ten months my tank was going. In the mean time try and pull that out of the tank. You could Probaly just roll it up like a carpet and take it out.

I tested the walmart r/o water at my local store this week and there was a 0 reading on my tds meter. Maybe that is an option for you.

We did absolutely everything to get rid of it! We got most of it under control but never got it to go away. So we just removed all of our sand :)

Back
Top Bottom