Originally Posted by HappyHooligan
, so I should do water changes then?
I understand the point of water changes in curing LR
is to avoid killing off established bacteria from high Amm. levels.
This rock started off completely void of anything alive so...
is there still a risk from the high Amm. on the developing bacteria or is there no real risk at this point and doing water changes will simply slow the process.
Something must have been alive to have such high ammonia released. When I cycled my tank, I had high levels of ammonia and no harm to the bacteria resulted. They like it!
This concerns me as I also bought some dry live rock from LFS
to add to my 10month old tank. I just plopped it in after a good scrubbing and boiling. Its been over a week now and no ill effects so I guess its okay?
One rock, that didnt go in, smelled bad even after all the boiling and scrubbing. Any idea why? Im guessing this rock, which I still want to add, will need to cycle in a tub?