Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken_wied

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All!
Im at it again. Have the 210g up and running. I put in 80lbs of sand, well rinsed first. And filled'er up with pre-mixed salt water (that alone took all day). I also did h2o changes on my 75g and 46g. The used water went into the 210g as well as 2 cups of sand from each established tank. I also put on a Canister filter w/carbon in it to help remove the cloudiness from water (no matter how much you rinse sand, there is always cloud). The canister had the original filter floss from the 75 that has been up for quite a while, so is rich in bacteria. I also floated a large sponge filter in the sump, have my (we will try this spelling) calupera?? in the sump, and floating other used filter media from the 75g. How long do we all think the cycle will be? My Clown Trigger and my Dogface Puffer will be going in there. Wanted to do the sea apple too, but both the dog and trigger like it tooooo much. Im also getting alot of base rock and then live rock to top it off. Thanks everyone!!!! Gotta go prepare for the big storm to hit Green Bay tonight and tomorrow!!
Ken

Without anything decaying in the water, you tank probably won't cycle at all.

I agree it probably wont show a cycle because of the established sand and rock you put in the tank. However, you aren't going to have enough bacteria in the tank yet to handle a bio-load. I would recomend that you feed the tank a little flake food or drop a shrimp in it to help the bacteria grow.

thanks guys! I am very leary about adding fish right away anyay. I did this with my 75 and my 46 and both times I let the tank run for about 3 weeks to establish itself. Will there be a problem with the fish going from flourescents to MH's? I've been going at SW for about a year, but there is SOOO much to learn yet, so I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom