Cycle taking for ever ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I'm about 4 weeks into the cycle and I am at a stall. My nitrates and nitrites will not drop. Ammonia is at zero. The raw shrimp I added at the start of the cycle is completely gone. My question is will adding more live rock from a very established tank help bring down nitrate and nitrites? Currently I have about 60 lbs of base rock and 20 lbs of live rock. I'm thinking on adding another 15 lbs of live rock. The tank is 60 gal.

The nitrates won't go down, you're waiting for the trites to go to zero. How high are your nitrites?

My nitrites are 10+ ppm and nitrates Are at
40 ppm. I moved some of the established rock down into my sump to help seed the dsb I have it there.

I would do a pwc to get those trites a bit lower. trates are good that means you have all 3 bacterias, they just aren't working at full tilt yet.

I'm thinking this weekend on doing a 50% water change.I started the cycle with some frozen fish.... That dis not go so well lol my entire room smelled. So I removed the fish and added some shrimp. My gf though it would help so she got a bottle of cycle stuff... I added it to help out and maybe cut the cycle time down. Right now I am just waiting to start adding fish in :). What fish should I start with? I was thinking on getting: 2 clown fish. 1 royal gramma. 1 watchmen goby with pistol shrimp. 1 doty back. 1 lawnmower blenny And for the main fish a angel fish or a blue tang(my tank is 4 ft long and I am planning in the next year or so moving it up to a 120 gal). How does this sound for a good set up? Any fish you recommend?

Does anyone know how to tell the sex of my tetra it looks like a female but I just want to make sure...

Attachments

• image-4167558645.jpg
    image-4167558645.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 59
Honestly please wait on the fish. Youre in mid cycle I would think if you have nitrites in your tank. You need to have 0 trites and not just by doing pwc's. When you do a water change youre exporting out NITRATES not trites.

Also, sorry but no tang. They require the 6 foot tank not a 4 footer. I'm waiting on my 125g upgrade to get my tangs. :)

I think your list otherwise is great, I have the exact fish almost. lol

Are you gonna have corals? I believe anglefish aren't reef safe...someone will; chime in...

oops almost forgot. That cycle stuff in a bottle does not really work. I';ve tried it myself as have many many others. It can help screw with your cycle so I wouldnt add anymore in just to be safe

Can anyone respond please I still need to know what breed my tetra is I want to possibly breed it but I don't know what breed it is please respond

Yeah I am going to wait till the cycle is completely done b4 I add fish. The tank is going to be a reef. I'm thinking some Xenia green star polyp, leather coral, Hammer coral and some other. As far as the cycle stuff I haven't really used it. I only used half.... So no tang u say? I know they need lots of horizontal room to swim. I was hoping a 4ft tank would be enough.

You would get more responses if you post it in the appropriate section. Post it in the fw identification section.

If you put a tang in a four foot tank the tang police will be on you like white on rice, lol. Look into some colorful blennies, you may like a midas. I have one, beautiful fish.

I have been beyond tempted to put a tang in my 4ft tank but yeah, the tang police are rough. lol I'm just gonna wait til I get my 125g later this year. Blennies rock! I have one and the personality is awesome.

My XMAS gift from my wife this year is a 180, I can't wait. Until then, my 65 will have to suffice.

Looks like I'll have to wait. Lol yeah :) my plan is to have a tank with lots of fish that have lots of personality :) I don't want it to be boring. I don't know if u would know the answer or not but.... I know a pistol shrimp needs a pretty good size sand bed to dig it's hole. Is 2 1/2 in deep good enough or should I add some more to make it 4 in deep?

I have no experience with the pistols, so I couldn't say. I have a 3-4 inch sand bed in my fowlr tank.

Ok. I am thinking on adding more sugar size sand to my tank. Prob 30 lbs more. Right now it is a mix of 40 lbs of live sand med size. 20lbs of sugar size sand and 10 lbs of crushed up crushed coral.( I had some crushed coral that I put into a pillow case and smashed with a hammer to it was very small. About the size of the med live sand)

Back
Top Bottom