Cycled my 30g. FOWLR with damsels what can I put with its?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandonjkoontz1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive got a 30g tank with about 25lbs of LR. ive got a domino damsels and a three stripped damsel. Ive heard that starting with those two could cause problems and im not sure what to put with them. Im new to the hobby and would really appreciate some help. Thank youu.

I'm just getting started too but i've heard that if you want to take them out in order to put something else in, you can try the bottle trick since then are quite hard to catch with a net. search youtube to find out what im talking about and good luck.

You could put other damsels with them, your limited, I started with the exact same fish, 1 three stripe and 2 dominos, I tried putting a fire goby in there, the attacked it until it died. They are quick so if you have a lot of places for them to hide, your going to have to break down your tank pretty much to get them out.
I took mine out and gave them to a friend so I could have some different fish.
They are little terrors, and the longer they are in the tank the worse they get, I guess they claim the tank as theirs after a while and any newcomers beware.

I think I'm going to try a yellow tail damsel and a blue fin damsel. I have another tank that's a 50 gallon. I dont have it set up I might leave my 30 gallon as is with just the damsels and save up to start fresh with the 50.

Readingexcalibur said:

Yeah I let the water establish first and made sure my perameters were right before putting the two in. I should have said "started tank with" instead of cycled. I just meant that there the only two to be in the tank since I set it up. Which has been about 3 months. And the fish have been in it for about a two.

I also have 2 yellow tail damsels that I kept, They are not as bad as the dominos and 3 stripe were. They harrass some fish a little when they are first introduced, but usually not so bad, and its only certain fish. After I gave my dominos and three stripe to my buddy, I had the 2 yellow tails left, and I added a pair of snowflake clowns, the damsels never bothered them, I then added a strawberry basslet, and they didnt bother it, then added a six line wrasse, they tormented the wrasse for about 48hrs until they finally stopped. I thought I was going to have to intervene before the wrasse got killed, but they let up and now everythings fine.

I'm glad to hear that. Id really like to get a six line and i love the yellowtails but since I'm not that experienced Im waiting till I know a lot more before I go and buy anything. If it comes down to it I'm going to have to find my domino and three stripe a good home. =\

Damsels are vicious fish. Sad truth of it. However, they are a great beginning fish for sw. I reccomend blue/green chromis for a first fish. They wont outwardly attack any fish, but can hold their ground if bullied. I started my tank almost a year ago with three, one died right off, but the other two were super easy. They eat practically anything, I use Wardly Fish Flakes. They have done well with the Pepermint Shrimp, Percula Clownfish, and Convict Worm Goby that I added a few months ago. Only thing is that you should move around the tank scenery right before putting in new fish, it helps with any territorial issues (though I havent seen any). I cant recomend these enough.

Thanks. Iv decided I like them too much to get rid of them so I'm setting up another thank. Ill have to look in to your suggestion but its looking like I'm ganna go in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom