Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to cycle my 90 gal fowlr tank soon with a shrimp from the store and how do this? Just put it in and run it and wait for the spike? When should that happen?

I would get a stocking and tie it in there to make for easy removal but you got it just throw it in and let it rot

Haha sounds easy

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha very! Just leave it and test in a few days for ammonia and nitrites/trates are you using live sand and live rock?

Live sand dead rock

Just put In the shrimp for the cycle. Hoping this will be a fast one

Don't hold your breath! It will take a while to seed all that rock..assuming you have a proportionate amount to your tank size..but hey my bio cube took 4 days..I've still to this day never seen nitrites in it

Dang lucky haha

You could try to kick start the cycle and speed it along by using a cycling agent available in any pet store..although it's a very very long debate on how good or if they work..I personally have had luck with them in my FW tank..I forget which I. Used though..

Should I have my lights on when cycling or no

Oh another trick is to crank your heater up..bacteria breed better and faster in warmer environments...when I cycle my tanks I crank my heater to about 85-86

I cranked up my heater and took my lights off

When should I start to see ammonia appear in the tests with fishless cycle using shrimp

And if I threw in a rock from another established tank into mine for a few hours would that help he bb

Or put in a piece of live rock from the LFS would that help speed it up?

You could buy a few pieces that might help but not if you just placed it in there for a few hours ammonia will probly show up in a few days. You could also add pure ammonia to get it going.. You just have to be patient it's not going to happen over night most cycles take at least 4-6 weejs

How long until I start seeing ammonia from the shrimp

Back
Top Bottom